Apple-tree Utes is distinguished by fruits with excellent commercial properties. Elite seedlings of the variety were isolated from “Yellow Ribbed” and “Zhigulevsky” at the end of the 70s of the last century. Apple trees of the Cliff are livable, quick-growing, it is easy to take care of them.
Apple Cliff: description of the variety
Apple Cliff: photo of the variety
Apple Cliff is a winter variety of apple trees. The fruits ripen in the middle of the first autumn month. The fruits of the Utes apple tree have excellent keeping quality: if you follow the basic recommendations regarding storage, they can be easily stored until the beginning of spring. The optimal place for storing apples can be a dimly lit (or completely unlit) basement or cellar with a temperature of 0 + 6 ° C. With possible temperature differences in the storage, container containers with apples are thoroughly insulated.
The apple variety Utes is partly self-fertile. But from experience, it is still worth planting apple trees of other winter varieties nearby (for example, “Idared”, “Granny Smith”, “Golden Delicious”, “Aport”) so that the fruits set more successfully.
Apple Cliff: characteristic of the variety
In different periods of growth of the Cliff apple tree, it changes its crown shape. At the time of planting and the first few years, the Cliff has a pyramidal crown shape. Then, every year there is more foliage, and the shape of the crown changes to spreading.
- The main branches have different thicknesses, but they all keep an acute angle to the trunk.
- The bark of the trunk and thick branches is dark brown.
- In shape, large leaves are shortly pointed, wrinkled. Green leaves - with a matte, wrinkled surface.
- By weight, fruits of moderate size sometimes reach over 125 grams. The maximum weight is 280 g.
- The shape of the Cliff apples is flat-rounded with a pronounced ribbing. The peel has a rich lemon color, while ripe fruits develop streaks of reddish blush. Under the skin of the fetus, it is difficult to notice a number of subcutaneous points.
- The fruits of the Utes apple tree, like many other apples, have a beige, not very dense, fine-grained pulp.
- The taste is delicate, sour-sweet and juicy.
From the history of selection
The apple variety Utes was created in Samara, at a gardening station in 1977. In 2005, the Utes apple tree was included in the State Register of the Middle Volga Region. However, until now he has not passed the state variety testing.
About growing regions
The main region of distribution of the Utes apple tree is the Sredne-Volzhsky. Since the "Cliff" has excellent winter hardiness, it can be grown in climatic zones with cold winters. In addition to Russia, the state where apple trees are found Utes - Ukraine ", Lithuania, Belarus".
About yield indicators
The apple tree begins to bear fruit in the 5th or 6th year. Further, it gives annual and plentiful harvests, which increase every year. For its 10th anniversary, the Utes apple tree can donate up to 80 centners per hectare. Fruit ripeness is reached around September 20th.
Apple Cliff: planting and care
The Cliff apple tree needs year-round care. For a bountiful harvest, you must not forget about simple recommendations regarding planting and care. Let's tell you more about them.
- Landing produced in the spring or autumn. This is the most favorable time for the development of a new space by a fruit tree. Spring planting is carried out from mid-April to mid-June.For autumn planting - there are no specific time limits. But the main thing to remember is that the seedlings should be planted for 2 weeks before the expected first low temperatures.
- When choosing apple seedlings Utes it is necessary to carefully examine the shapes of the trunks and basal necks. With dried roots, the necks are rotten, and the trunks are bent. You should not take such seedlings, they are not viable. Select other trees.
- Preparing seedlings before planting is to shorten the crown. If the seedling is two years old, it should be shortened to 0.8 m. Further, pay attention to the roots: if their length is less than 0.4 m, then the seedling should be shortened by 20 more centimeters. The fact is that with an undeveloped root system, a relatively large the crown will not be able to receive the necessary trace elements for its development.
- Planting pit preparation and planting starts with drainage. The top layer of soil is mixed with humus and mineral fertilizers and poured into the bottom of the hole, making a mound. A young tree is installed on it, a peg is driven in and, little by little, the soil is covered with layers. Each layer can be slightly moistened, so the seedling will be better fixed. Particular attention should be paid to the basal neck. It should look out a little so that there is no decay.
- Regular watering should be provided for the apple tree. If the weather is hot and dry, the tree should be well and constantly watered. The volume of one irrigation for one tree is approximately 3 buckets of water. To solve the problem of dry soil, you can plant meadow or steppe grasses, clover around the tree. With their help, moisture will be retained and flow into the root system of the plant.
- Cliff pruning is done every year. In the spring, the tree (its last year's shoots) is shortened by about 20%. Of course, along with this, they get rid of the damaged, broken, rotted branches during the winter period. Be sure to remove the branches growing inside the crowns.
- To make the fruits of better quality cut out some inflorescences (2-3 out of 5) of fruiting apple trees.
- Disinfection is important places where the living tissue of the tree has separated so that harmful insects do not penetrate through the wound.
- The importance of hygiene cannot be overemphasized! Weeds should be eliminated especially near the roots of a young tree. In the fall, it is imperative to harvest fallen leaves, crop residues, rotten, spoiled fruits. It should be remembered that unharvested leaves and fruits are a potential breeding ground for harmful microflora, which means pathogens and diseases.
About diseases and pests
Apple Cliff: photo of the variety
The apple variety Utes is not resistant to some diseases, which, together with the methods of treatment, we will discuss in this chapter.
Scab apple variety Utes quite stable, but still cases of diseases are observed.
The spread of scab occurs through spores, for which last year's rotten foliage and fruits are favorable conditions. If you notice affected young leaves with yellow light spots with an oily sheen in the spring, then these are signs of scab. Further, drying of the affected leaves (ovaries, fruits, buds) is found.
As a treatment in the fall, after the tree has shed its foliage (it needs to be removed), spraying with urea should be used. As special preparations of fungicidal action against scab use "Skor", "Bordeaux liquid", "Cumulus".
About apple crayfish - a less common disease, not many people know. But this does not make it less dangerous. The disease can be triggered by a low temperature. The causative agent is a fungus that causes decay processes on the surface of the bark of the trunks and on the main branches. At first, the disease manifests itself through ulcers or growths with "bleeding" (fluid leaks out). It is necessary to promptly remove the affected areas of the tree.If this is not done, then the peeling of the bark begins and the penetration of the disease into the inner part of the fruit tree. If a tree affected by this disease is not treated, then it will live no more than three years.
There are several stages of apple cancer treatment:
- removal of affected areas;
- rinsing the cut sites with Bordeaux liquid or garden varnish;
- burning cut diseased branches and bark outside the garden area.
In place of the affected areas, nothing can already grow back and recover.
Powdery mildew sometimes confused with dust pollution. From this fungal infection, a "powdery bloom" appears, and it is mistaken by novice gardeners for dust. Over time, this "dusty" coating turns into black moldy areas, drying and falling of leaves is observed, and the disease rushes into the interior of the tree.
There are several stages of powdery mildew treatment:
- removal of all infected areas, leaves;
- disinfection of tear-off and cut-off sites;
- wood processing with "Topaz" (2 ml / 1 bucket of water);
- processing wood after harvesting with Bordeaux liquid;
- make a layer of soil (5-6 cm) and apply a mixture with fertilizers on it, while avoiding direct contact of the fertilizer with the root system;
- timely prevention of harmful insects.
Apple-tree Utes: reviews of gardeners about the variety
- Ekaterina Dmitrievna, Samara region: “Apple-tree Cliff has been growing on my gardener's plot for a very long time. I like the high yield of the variety and the very juicy taste of apples. Of course, you should not think that the Cliff apple tree will give a large harvest without proper care, however, like the vast majority of many other varieties of apple trees. It is necessary to water it in a timely manner, form the crown, and also feed the tree, then the Apple Cliff will delight both you and your neighbors. "
- Ksenia Vladimirovna, Sverdlovsk region: »I can say with confidence that if Utes apple trees appeared in your garden, it speaks about your right choice. These apple trees will not give you problems. Apple-trees Cliff are not afraid of scab, low frost temperatures and always give abundant harvests of tasty and healthy fruits. "