The most popular and widespread crop for cultivation among summer residents and gardeners are tomatoes. There are a huge number of tomato varieties, plus they are constantly updated with new products. The Konigsberg tomato is one of the best varieties in its category. The variety was bred by Siberian breeders specifically for cultivation in Siberia, but later it turned out that it feels great in all parts of the country. This tomato perfectly tolerates cold, and heat, and drought, has a huge immunity to diseases and harmful insects. The most important advantages of the Konigsberg tomato variety, and it has a lot of them, are: delicious taste, high yield of Konigsberg tomato, wonderful nutritional values. In this article, we will take a closer look at this variety, all its pros and cons, and also see how to grow and care for it.
Tomatoes Konigsberg: variety description and characteristics
Tomato Konigsberg: photo of the variety
The Konigsberg tomato differs primarily from other Siberian tomato species in that it is not a hybrid. This culture belongs to the indeterminate types of plants and, with constant garter on a trellis, grows up to two meters in height. The foliage of this variety is large, lowered, of a potato type. It has simple inflorescences, the first ovary is formed after 11-12 leaves. Carpal variety, up to 6-7 fruits grow in one cluster.
In terms of ripening, the Konigsberg tomato characterizes itself as mid-season, the harvest of Konigsberg tomatoes is obtained in 115-120 days. Up to 21 kilograms of ripe vegetables can be harvested from each square meter.
These vegetables are grown both in open space and in greenhouse conditions. The fruits grow up to 230 grams, rather large in size, but the largest vegetables are formed in the lower part of the plant, and they can ripen up to 900 grams, and on top, respectively, the tomatoes are smaller and weighing up to 300 grams. The fruits are oval in shape and look like an elongated heart. The fruit is covered with a fairly dense, glossy skin.
The taste of the Konigsberg tomato is excellent, the inside is fleshy, sweet and aromatic. Possesses excellent resistance to diseases as well as to attack by pests. The Konigsberg variety requires constant watering and feeding, quality care is important to it. In bushes, it is imperative to pinch the growth point, as well as pinch.
With quality care, Königsberg tomatoes will delight you with an excellent, tasty harvest and a long shelf life, which is rare for such large vegetables. They are also endowed with the ability to transport. The main reason for the good growth of this tomato in the south of the country is that the plant is endowed with a sufficiently developed, powerful root system, which is directed downward. The fruits of this variety are widely used in the preparation of mashed potatoes, sauces and juices, as well as in fresh, unprocessed form. But for canning, it is not quite suitable, because of the very large fruits.
Königsberg tomato honeycomb so quickly gained popularity among summer residents and gardeners that scientists had to bring out some more of its subspecies. Here are the most popular ones:
- Heart-shaped tomato. Large kilogram fruits of this subspecies are not a very good solution for canning, so I actively use them in salads, sauces and unprocessed. Otherwise, this subspecies is practically no different from other species.
Tomato Konigsberg heart-shaped: photo
- Tomato Red Konigsberg.This species grows both in a greenhouse and in an open space. Yields ripe fruits in July-August. It has very tall bushes, often growing up to two meters. Tomato Konigsberg red bears a lot of fruit. Ripe fruits are elongated, covered with a red, shiny skin. The fruits are large in size. They are distinguished by excellent taste and long shelf life. Tomato Konigsberg red is characterized by very persistent, excellent tolerance to adverse weather conditions and external factors.
Tomato Konigsberg red: photo of the variety
- Tomato Golden Konigsberg. Popularly called Siberian apricots. It has a yellow color, and, accordingly, the sweetest, since it is a known fact that yellow tomatoes contain more sugar. And it is also endowed with a large amount of carotene, which is so important for the human body. And for the rest, the Konigsberg golden tomato in all its steel characteristics is similar to the above-described subspecies.
Tomato Konigsberg golden: photo
In general, all varieties of this variety are similar in their characteristics, they are distinguished only by their external data.
Tomato Konigsberg: cultivation features
The cultivation of the Konigsberg tomato variety practically does not differ from the cultivation of other varieties belonging to the indeterminate group. As mentioned above, the species can be grown both on a ridge and in a greenhouse and greenhouse. The Konigsberg tomato is adapted to all conditions.
Tomato seeds of the Konigsberg variety begin to be sown for seedlings in early March. Before that, they are disinfected in a weak solution of manganese, you can also soak them in a growth stimulator for good growth and development overnight. The seedling soil is made loose and quite nutritious. Prepared seeds are planted to a centimeter depth. You can dive a plant when 3 leaves appear on it. Do not pay attention to the appearance of the seedlings of this tomato, as they look very lifeless and lethargic. This is only a characteristic feature of this species, you should not be afraid of it. Two weeks before planting seedlings in the ground, it should be hardened. After about 50-55 days after germination, tomatoes can be transferred to a greenhouse, and to an open space after two months.
Pay special attention to the soil for the Königsberg tomatoes. It should be loose, nutritious, moisturized (but in moderation), heated enough and treated with potassium permanganate or boiling water.
Seedlings after planting should not be watered for 10 days so that the roots can take root well in a new place.
Tomato Konigsberg: features of care
Orange tomato Konigsberg: photo
The advantage of the Konigsbreg tomato variety is unpretentiousness. Tomato Konigsberg does not require special care. The main requirements for care are as follows:
- Every 10-12 days, tomatoes need to take preventive measures to reduce the risk of disease and attack by harmful insects. For this, they also use special chemicals and resort to folk remedies.
- Tomato Konigsberg is fed at least three times per season. For this, mineral complexes, rotted cow dung are used, and some also use compost, ordinary ash.
- Mulching is required to prevent cracking and drying out of the soil, and this will also help protect the Konigsberg tomato variety from various rot and late blight, insects.
- Watering should be done infrequently, but quite abundantly. It is important not to wet the stems and leaves of the plant, so water it under the root. It is difficult to waterlogged the plant, due to its very long roots, more likely there will be drought.
- After each watering or rain, the soil around the bushes must be loosened to provide air access to the root system of the Konigsberg tomato.
- To avoid a critically small number of ovaries in the greenhouse, you need to pollinate the tomato yourself.
- The Königsberg tomato variety is grown in 1-2 stems, and the rest of the shoots are constantly pinched.
- Be sure to pinch the bush every 14 days, the stepsons must be at least three centimeters in length. Grasshopping is stopped when the bushes are fully formed.
- These tall tomatoes require a garter. For these purposes, pegs or trellises are used. Particular attention is paid to those bushes that grow in open space, because strong winds can break them.
Diseases and pests of the Konigsberg tomato variety
A very important feature of the variety is that it is almost 100 percent not afraid of diseases and pests... But as a preventive measure, it is imperative to spray the bushes with a solution of phytosporin.
There are, of course, very rare cases when a plant attacks gray rot or late blight (dark spots appear on the foliage). Then the following measures are taken:
- damaged areas of the plant are removed,
- water the culture only with warm water and in the evening,
- crops are fed with fertilizers with a high potassium content.
Tomato Konigsberg: reviews of the tomato variety
As you can see, the description and characteristics of the Konigsberg tomato consists mainly of some advantages, since in general this plant does not have any disadvantages. This vegetable crop bears excellent fruit, the yield of the Konigsberg tomato is excellent, this tomato is not at all capricious and does not require much effort in its care, it tolerates periods of cold and drought very firmly.
For many years I have been growing my own tomato variety Königsberg. I don't have a greenhouse and a greenhouse, so we simply plant it right on the garden bed. At first, the seedlings frightened and upset with their spring appearance, then they got used to it, especially since it radically changes after landing on the ridge. Königsberg tomato bushes grow very quickly, and the leaves grow. I grow in one stem. The only thing is that I plant 2 seedlings in each hole. The bushes have never worked with anything, and they did not get sick with anything. Therefore, I advise everyone!
Tomato Konigsberg: video about the variety