Blueberries for the winter: ways of harvesting healthy berries
Blueberries are good for human health. There are many vitamins in the berry. Blueberries help improve vision, lower cholesterol, and reduce urinary tract diseases. In addition, blueberries help to reduce the possible development of cancer. Further in the article we will talk about how blueberries are harvested for the winter.
Blueberries for the winter: keep them dry
Dried blueberries for the winter: photo
Dried blueberries retain their beneficial properties for the winter.
Before drying, they are washed and debris removed.
Then blueberries are processed for the winter in several ways so that as much nutrients as possible remain:
- The berries are poured with dissolved pectin. Then, with the help of a sieve, allow the excess water to drain.
- Squeeze lemon juice and sprinkle berries with it.
- Blanched. The berries are dipped into boiling water for two minutes, after which they are thrown into a container with ice. When the berry has cooled down, use a sieve to remove excess water.
Different methods of drying blueberries for the winter:
- In an electric dryer. It is heated in special containers for 6-10 hours.
- Use an oven. Foil is placed on the pallet, the berries are poured in one layer, the temperature is brought to 70 degrees and dried for twelve hours, as it dries. Less is possible.
- If the area where you live allows it to dry outside, then the berries are dried outside. Gauze with berries is placed on special devices. The berries are harvested at night. And so it lasts for several days.
Blueberries for the winter: keep the berries frozen
Frozen blueberries for the winter: photo
Dry berries are used to freeze blueberries for the winter. The preparation of the berries is done as described above. The berries are frozen in the freezer. Can be sprinkled on a pallet or placed directly in bags. In the latter case, the berry will not absorb excess odors.
Important! Defrosting must also be correct. First, wait for it to thaw in the refrigerator.
Preserving blueberries in sugar
The nutrients in blueberries are best preserved if they are not cooked. To do this, sprinkle it with sugar 1: 2 and process it in a blender. Transfer to containers.
Knead blueberries with a fork, pour 330 ml of water and boil. Keep on fire for 13 minutes. Then strain the syrup twice. Then 370 ml of water and 220 g of sugar plus one lemon are added to the strained syrup and boiled for 10 minutes. As soon as the syrup begins to thicken, add the berries and cook for three minutes. Then let the syrup cool. Remove the lemon.
Blueberries for the winter: preparing the juice
Blueberry juice for the winter: photo
You will need some kind of press.
You can use the following blueberry juice recipe methods for the winter:
- After the juice has been squeezed out, let it stand and then strain. Then it is heated to 80 degrees. Wrap it up so that it sweats for another 20 minutes. The cooled juice is distributed in the prepared containers. The containers must be sterilized.
- A little sugar and water are added to the berries remaining after straining in the same ratio. Boil for 10 minutes. Filtered off.
- 15 hours are allowed to stand. The proportions are 1: 1. Drain the resulting juice, and add hot sugar syrup 1: 2 to the rest. Let it brew for 6 hours, then strain. Then boil the mixture.
You can use this for cooking jelly or fruit drink.
Prepare three kilograms of fresh berries. Pass them all through the press. Put all this in a glass dish and add two kilograms of sugar. Top up with three liters of water.Cover the dishes with gauze and leave to ferment for three days. Strain. Wash the dishes and pour the filtered juice into it again. Add a glass of honey and a liter of water. Close tightly with a stopper, venting gases into a bottle of water. Withstand two months in a warm room. After filtering. The jar is washed. The strained liquid is poured back and insisted again, but in a cold place. After two months, filter again. The wine is ready. Pour into jars.
Cooking blueberry jelly for the winter
Blueberry jelly for the winter: photo
Blueberry Jelly Preparation Methods:
1. Classic jelly
Cooked berries are mixed with sugar 1: 1 and give time to juice. Then the berries are brought to a boil. After boiling, boil a little more and let cool. This is repeated two times: heat up and cool down. Poured into jars and rolled up.
Important! If a drop of jelly in a glass of water immediately goes to the bottom, then the jelly is ready.
In a slow cooker, jelly is prepared as follows:
A mixture of berries with sugar 1: 1 is poured into a slow cooker. Cook for two hours in stewing mode. At the very end, cook for one minute in steam mode. Everything. The jelly is ready.
2. Jelly is prepared with gelatin
For a 4: 2 ratio of berries and sugar, one bag of gelatin is enough. All ingredients are mixed and cooked within two minutes.
Blueberries for the winter: making jam
Blueberry jam for the winter: photo
Prepare a mixture of blueberries and sugar. Let it stand for five hours. Brew for another 35 minutes. It is necessary to remove the foam. Divide into containers.
Blueberries - 1 kg are immersed in a bowl and kneaded to form a puree. Sugar syrup: three hundred ml of water plus 1 kg of sugar is boiled for two minutes. Then add mashed potatoes and cook for 15 minutes. Stir all the time. Ready jam is immediately laid out in containers.
Two ways: with sterilization and without sterilization.
To prepare sugar syrup: one liter of water requires 0.5 kg of sugar. The berries in the jars are poured with hot sugar syrup and the jars are sterilized within 15 minutes. After that, the cans are rolled up.
Blueberries for the winter: photo
A three-liter jar is half covered with berries (approximately 900 g). Boil three liters of water. The berries are poured with boiling water and kept for 10 minutes.
Then the water is removed. Sugar -450 gr is added to the jar. Pour back water.