Tomato Cosmonaut Volkov
In the gardens and shops of our country, there is a huge amount of tomatoes of various varieties. Now most gardeners prefer to grow new varieties of tomatoes, often of foreign origin, and old Russian varieties are increasingly forgetting that in vain, because they are most suitable for our climate and weather conditions. A striking representative of such species is a large-fruited variety - the Cosmonaut Volkov tomato.
Tomato Cosmonaut Volkov: variety description and characteristics
Tomato Cosmonaut Volkov: photo of the variety
Before starting a description of the tomato variety Cosmonaut Volkov, it should be noted that this plant, bred in our country, is not so easy to grow. The culture can be grown both in open space and in greenhouse conditions. The advantage of this tomato variety is that it is endowed with good endurance to all the most common diseases. But the difficult moment in growing is that the tomato bush is quite tall, it grows up to 2 meters high. When growing a tomato Cosmonaut Volkov in an open space, the stems of the crop must be well fixed to the trellis, otherwise they can break off from heavy tomatoes, or from strong winds. The best protection for this plant from bad weather is a greenhouse or greenhouse.
Tomato variety Cosmonaut Volkov is a representative of the indeterminate group of vegetables. The bush is of the standard type and is a medium early tomato variety. The first harvest of ripe vegetables is obtained in 110 days.
Tomato Cosmonaut Volkov has a high yield, it was this fact that made him favorites among gardeners and summer residents. With good and high-quality care, you can get about 7 kilograms of ripe tomatoes from one bush, and from one square meter, respectively, up to 18 kilograms of ripe fruits.
The astronaut Volkov tomato variety has its own personal merits, consider them:
- The yield of the tomato Cosmonaut Volkov is high, for which absolutely all gardeners and summer residents appreciate it.
- The grown fruits of this variety are distinguished by their large size and excellent taste characteristics. It is used for cooking and decorating any kind of food, as well as for various types of processing. The downside is that this variety is not suitable for canning, since it is quite difficult to preserve the large fruits of this plant.
- The plant tolerates the climatic climate of Russia very well.
- This vegetable crop has strong immunity to many diseases, fungal and viral in nature.
According to numerous reviews of gardeners and summer residents, the main disadvantage of the Cosmonaut Volkov tomato variety is its good and large harvest. And caring for him requires a lot of time and effort. This tomato needs to be regularly tied to long growing stems, it needs to make a trellis, and also to build a support because of the heavy bunches of tomatoes. The greatest difficulty arises with the lower branches, since the largest and heaviest tomatoes are formed on them. Try to support the plant so that the tomatoes do not touch the soil. As mentioned earlier, this tomato variety belongs to large-fruited. The mass of one ripe fruit can reach up to 600-650 grams, and on the lower branches the fruits often grow larger in size and grow up to 800 grams in weight. The grown fruit has a round shape and a rather strong flattened part at the stalk. The upper part of the tomato fruit is round or flattened.The inside of the fruit, when ripe, has a red color and a sugar taste. The seeds of this variety are medium in size, the grains are distributed quite evenly, in 7 chambers. The dry matter in the inside of these tomatoes is about 6 percent. The pulp of tomatoes of the Cosmonaut Volkov variety has a huge amount of vitamins, and also has a well-formed balance of sugar and acid. Despite the large size of the fruits of this variety, they have good storage and transportability. The pulp of the fruits of this species is so fleshy that very tasty and thick juices, pastes and ketchup are obtained from it.
Growing a tomato Cosmonaut Volkov
Tomato Cosmonaut Volkov: photo
For a high yield of tomatoes, Cosmonaut Volkov, a number of requirements and rules must be observed. Here they are:
- When growing a tomato variety Cosmonaut Volkov in a greenhouse, you need to worry about good lighting in advance, otherwise the lack of lighting will have a very bad effect on the development of culture. The bush will have to constantly stretch out towards the light, in this case, to the transparent ceiling of a greenhouse or greenhouse, the stem turns out to be thin and not at all strong. Ultimately, tomatoes lack nutrients and this greatly affects the yield of the tomato Cosmonaut Volkov.
- Since the tomato variety Cosmonaut Volkov is very tall, it must be tied up. In greenhouse conditions, this vegetable crop can grow up to two meters in height. In this case, you only need to tie the stems to the trellis. This structure is often made from posts on which a wire or rope is stretched. In an open space, the plant is less tall, usually up to 1.5 meters, but in this case the plant needs a garter. If you have a small number of bushes, then you can do without trellis. Then wooden stakes pressed into the soil will be a good support.
- Tomatoes Cosmonaut Volkov are grown by the seedling method. Seedlings are obtained from seeds, or I buy ready-made in the store. Sowing is done about two months before the direct planting of seedlings in the garden. If you decide to collect the grains from the tomato yourself, then you definitely need to carry out a disinfection procedure for them, this is done with a manganese solution, and also the germination and hardening procedure. If you take seedlings from the store, then they have already gone through all these processes.
- Usually, special containers are used for sowing, and when the tomatoes form about two leaves, they are dived and planted in different containers.
- Planting seedlings in a greenhouse begins in mid-March, and seedlings are planted in an open space when the soil warms up and the probability of frost decreases. When planting seedlings, do not forget that this tomato variety is a tall plant, and it needs free space for good development, so leave a distance of 70 centimeters between the bushes.
- Tomato variety Cosmonaut Volkov has a negative attitude towards frequent watering. Therefore, it will be better to water less often, but with more water. More often they begin to water only during the period of plant ovary. In order not to reduce the growth of the crop, do not water the tomatoes with cold water. Usually gardeners keep a special large container in the garden, in which the water will warm up in a day and you can safely water this vegetable crop. But this procedure should be carried out early in the morning or in the evening. This watering option is especially good in hot and dry weather.
- After watering, the soil must be loosened, and when grown in a greenhouse or greenhouse, it must also be ventilated, and after each watering procedure. After all, air intake is an important factor for the good development of a tomato, and thanks to an open window or door, insects can fly into the greenhouse or greenhouse, and tomatoes are very necessary for pollination of buds.But insects can be not only useful, but also pests, so do not forget to spray the plant with special means, as a prophylaxis, in order to protect the culture.
- In mid-July, pinch the tops of the plants to limit growth. You should also cut off the late brushes that appear. The bush is formed by cutting off the extra stepsons. This is done in the same way as for other tall varieties. And they form a culture in 1 or 2 stems.
Tomatoes Cosmonaut Volkov are distinguished by amicable ripening. If you want to put these tomatoes for storage, then you need to collect them a little unripe, they will ripen by themselves, in a dry and warm place.
Tomato variety Cosmonaut Volkov: top dressing
Tomato Cosmonaut Volkov: photo of the variety
The tomato of the Cosmonaut Volkov variety needs three obligatory dressings per season. These dressings should be introduced into the soil before the period of fruit ovary. Although this variety is unpretentious in the composition of the soil, feeding is needed for better plant development. After all, large fruits of this variety draw out a large amount of nutrients from the plant, and they need to be replenished. And one cannot do with wood ash and humus. A vegetable needs complex fertilizers, which include minerals. Such fertilizers are purchased in stores and then follow the instructions. Although experienced gardeners regulate it themselves. The poorer the soil, the greater the dose of top dressing.
Diseases and pests tomato variety Cosmonaut Volkov
Tomato variety Astronaut wolves is considered a fairly resistant and hardy variety to various infections and diseases. But there are periods of epidemics, and even harmful insects cannot settle on a plant. Therefore, in order to preserve the culture, the following preventive measures must be taken:
- With poor and poor-quality plant care, it may develop brown spot. More precisely, the cause of infection is improper watering or temperature conditions. Control and follow these care steps, and you can avoid this ailment, but if the plant is already quite heavily infected, then you can try to act with special chemicals, or, in extreme cases, completely remove the affected tomato bushes.
- Tobacco mosaic do not mind attacking the plant and completely killing it, therefore, if diseased branches are found on the culture, be sure to remove them and dispose of by burning. Treat the cut wound on the tomato with a manganese solution.
- Whitefly... This very unpleasant white moth inflicts tremendous damage on tomato leaves. To combat it, use the drug Confidor. The whole plant is sprayed with this solution.
- Slugs... May appear on the plant if there is frequent dampness under the bushes. To fight, they use this method: the ground around the bushes is covered with wood ash or hot ground pepper.
- Spider mite... A very harmful and dangerous insect that infects plants, mostly growing in open ground. To combat this insect, a soap solution is often used. They spray or wash the affected areas and the entire plant as a whole.
The best remedy for combating diseases and pests is preventive measures in order to exclude the occurrence of an illness. Follow these steps, and the plant will delight you with an excellent harvest.
Tomato Cosmonaut Volkov: reviews
Tomatoes Cosmonaut Volkov: photo of tomato varieties
There are completely different opinions and reviews of gardeners about this tomato variety. Some liked this species very much, while others simply did not even manage to grow it. How many people, so many opinions. Here are some reviews about the tomato Cosmonaut Volkov:
- I learned about the tomato variety Cosmonaut Volkov from a TV program. I was very interested and decided to try to grow this variety. The result exceeded all expectations. On one square meter, 24 kilograms of Cosmonaut Volkov tomato, very tasty and large in size, have grown.I form the bushes into one stem, they grew 1.7 meters in height for me.
Olga, 46 years old
- A neighbor in the country gave seeds of this variety. She praised these tomatoes, she has been growing them for five years. I tried it very well. Cosmonaut Volkov tomatoes are very tasty and large, although they are stored for no more than a week.
Natalia, 50 years old
Tomato Cosmonaut Volkov: photo of the variety