Potatoes Nevsky: variety description, photo
Potatoes Nevsky: description, characteristics of the variety, main advantages and disadvantages, as well as how to grow it correctly - from the preparation of planting material, ending directly with planting. How to care for potatoes, how to deal with diseases and pests, how to store crops, you will learn all this and much more about the Nevsky potato variety in this article.
Potatoes Nevsky: variety description and characteristics
Potatoes Nevsky: photo of the variety
On store shelves, a huge number of different varieties of potatoes, choosing which variety to plant, many gardeners start from personal experience, from the yield of a particular variety, from its adaptability to a specific region, and also qualitative and taste characteristics play an important role. In this article we will introduce you to one of the most popular varieties of potatoes - Nevsky potatoes.
- The seed potato variety Nevsky was bred in 1976 by domestic breeders and to this day is one of the most popular varieties. It accounts for 26% of the total area of planted potatoes in the country.
- Seed potato bushes Nevsky are undersized, erect, medium-sized foliage, dark green, flowering phase is short, inflorescences are white. An interesting fact - when the foliage is damaged by the Colorado potato beetle, the greens recover very quickly. The tubers of the Nevsky potato variety are rounded-oblong, the skin is smooth, white-yellow in color, the flesh is white.
- Potato Nevsky is a mid-season variety. The length of time between planting until the tubers are fully ripe is 75-90 days.
- The early potato variety Nevsky has a high yield rate, subject to favorable conditions for growing potatoes, breeders promise - 60 tons per 1 hectare of land. Each nest grows 8-15 tubers, each weighing from 90 to 130 grams.
- Nevsky potatoes have excellent taste, they do not fall apart and do not darken during heat treatment. Ideal for preparing absolutely any dish. The starch level in tubers averages 10-15%.
- It should be noted that the Nevsky seed potato variety is well stored for a long time, subject to the conditions for its storage, the marketability of root crops is 90 - 95%. Suitable for mechanical cleaning and transport well.
If you decide to choose the Nevsky potato variety, then we want to note that you will not experience difficulties, since the variety is quite unpretentious. As with the cultivation of any variety, before "burrowing" it is necessary to "stomp".
How to choose the right place
The main criterion in choosing a place for Nevsky potatoes is a sunny area. As with any other variety, the shade negatively affects the yield and the characteristics of root crops. Be sure to follow the rules of crop rotation, this will avoid contamination of potatoes with various diseases. The best predecessors for the site will be legumes, cucumbers, cabbage, beets, and onions. The worst predecessors are nightshade crops (tomato).
Nevsky potatoes: characteristics of the requirements of the variety to the soil
The harvest of Nevsky potatoes can be grown and harvested on absolutely any soil, even in the most unfavorable land.But if you want to get the maximum yield of Nevsky potatoes with the highest taste, give preference to loose fertile soil - sandy loam soil or loam. Even if the land is bad, fertilization and a number of agrotechnical works will allow you to grow a wonderful harvest.
Take care of the preparation of the site in the fall, for this, clear it of weeds, apply fertilizers (this variety is as responsive to fertilizers as possible) and the earth needs to be dug up or plowed up. Organics are perfect fertilizers.
What are the landing dates
We start planting seed potatoes Nevsky only when the soil has warmed up to at least + 10 degrees, and the spring frosts are behind. This time falls around mid-May, but focus specifically on your region. A prolonged decrease in temperature is bad for potatoes.
How to prepare potatoes before planting
Seed potatoes Nevsky needs mandatory preparation before planting:
- to start, the tubers of early potatoes of the Nevsky variety should be sorted out, discarding rotten, damaged, deformed material; only healthy, strong tubers are required for planting;
- after which the selected material must be germinated; for this, the potatoes are transferred to a bright, warm place and left for 2-3 weeks, allowing the eyes to germinate;
- then the potatoes are disinfected, for this it should be treated with special preparations or a solution of potassium permanganate, which allows the prevention of diseases and pest attacks. Also, seed potatoes of the Nevsky variety can be treated with growth stimulants, which will positively affect its further growth and yield in general.
How to plant potatoes Nevsky
After the soil has warmed up and the seed potatoes have sprouted, we proceed to planting.
The planting scheme is no different from other varieties - holes are dug with a depth of about 10 cm, the distance between them is about 30 cm, and the row spacing should be about 70 cm. Planting material is carefully laid in the holes - avoiding breaking off the sprouts, planting is carried out by sprouts upwards. After the seed potatoes are laid out, the lenoks are covered with earth.
How to care for potato shoots Nevsky
The seed potato variety Nevsky does not need specific care during the growing season. But there are a number of simple recommendations that should be followed, after which the potatoes will certainly thank you with a good harvest.
- the early potato variety Nevsky, although it is resistant to drought and does not need regular watering, but if the summer is hot and dry, it is still worth controlling the moisture of the earth, especially during the period of budding and flowering;
- Nevsky potatoes need hilling, this is done twice: the first time, when the seedlings have grown by 6 cm, and the second time during the budding period. Hilling is necessary for potatoes in order to protect the seedlings from temperature drops, so that air, nutrients and moisture must come to the roots, as well as to maintain the tops and to fight weeds;
- Nevsky potatoes will certainly thank you with the harvest, if you please him with top dressing. It is recommended to do this using both organic and mineral fertilizers. During the growing season, feeding will be required several times - at the very beginning of summer, and then during the flowering period;
- do not forget to deal with weeds, as well as treat the bushes with remedies for diseases and pests.
Potential diseases and pests of seed potatoes
Potato Nevsky has a very low susceptibility to most fungal, viral and bacterial infections, it is also resistant to numerous diseases, including late blight, potato cancer and others.
Unfortunately, its resistance to pests is much lower than to diseases.It is susceptible to attack by nematodes - worms that infect the root system. It is very difficult to deal with this scourge, since it is almost impossible to recognize the problem. Therefore, in this case, the most effective fight is prevention. After each harvest, the land is dug up, and the weeds are removed, exceptionally healthy planting material is selected for planting, follows the rules of crop rotation and alternate the potato planting sites. The affected potato bushes are immediately removed and burned.
It is also imperative to treat seed potatoes with preparations that protect the future harvest from possible damage by diseases and pests before planting.
How to clean and store Nevsky potatoes
Potatoes Nevsky: photo of the variety
- After you noticed that the tops are dry - this is about mid-August, you need to dig out the potatoes.
- After harvesting, it must be dried well. Timely harvesting and good "drying" can significantly extend the shelf life of Nevsky potatoes.
- Then the crop is placed in a well-ventilated container (bags, baskets, boxes, etc.) and stored in a dark, cool place - the cellar, basement are ideal.
Only by observing all the rules and recommendations can you achieve an excellent result - a fruitful harvest, excellent taste, excellent quality, long shelf life. Seed potatoes of the Nevsky variety are sure to please.
Potatoes Nevsky: video about the variety
Potatoes Nevsky: reviews of gardeners
Miroslava Igorevna, Chelyabinsk region: “I have been growing seed potatoes of the Nevsky variety for a long time. Features I am glad that during a very hot summer and drought, this variety thrives, while other varieties wilt. The yield level of Nevsky potatoes is stable and quite rich. "
Vitaly Alexandrovich, Leningrad region: “For me, Nevsky potatoes are the owner of the greatest amount of harm dignity of all potato varieties. Early Nevsky potatoes have excellent taste, are resistant to diseases, are not afraid of mechanical damage, and are resistant to high humidity and drought. In general, some pluses. "
Potatoes Nevsky: photo of the variety