Delphinium Butterfly (large-flowered)
Delphinium Butterfly (large-flowered) is especially popular among both gardeners and professional landscape designers. The plant is very suitable as a decorative element as a decoration for various flower beds. They called it a plant just like that, because its flowers in unopened form resemble the head of a dolphin. Also, many call this plant as larkspur and larkspur. Therefore, if you also want to grow this plant in your area, then you can familiarize yourself with the most popular varieties, how to grow and care for them correctly.
Delphinium Butterfly Large-flowered: variety description
Delphinium butterfly: photo
Delphinium is a perennial plant. The stems are tall and have a small white fluff. The leaves are narrow, tripartite in shape. inflorescences can have different colors: blue, white, purple, pink and others. The flowering of the plant lasts for about 20 days and begins at the end of June. Flowers have inflorescences of 3-80 pieces, some varieties have a pleasant aroma. The plant can grow up to 1 meter in height. Each flower has a spur - an outgrowth, narrow in shape, has 2 nectaries. The center of the corolla is light. After pollination ends, fruits with seeds inside begin to ripen. This is a plant of the Buttercup family, poisonous. After contact with the plant, wash your hands well with soap and water. Cannot be eaten.
Delphinium has a fairly large number of different varieties. We will consider just a few that have earned particular popularity among gardeners.
- Large-flowered delphinium Blue butterfly. This variety is often used by landscape designers to decorate various flower beds and paths. The plant has flowers that are not too large, in diameter they can reach 3.5 cm.The color can be from deep blue to pale blue. Blooms from June to autumn. If you remove those shoots that have already faded, then the large-flowered Blue Butterfly delphinium will give you new flowers even in September.
Delphinium Blue butterfly: photo
- Delphinium Pink butterfly. The plant is undersized. It has a compact size, due to which it is often
used as an element of the decoration of the site. The height does not exceed 40 cm. The flowers bloom at the beginning of the color, have a pale pink color.
Delphinium Pink butterfly: photo
- Delphinium White butterfly. The flowers of this variety are small in size, the diameter does not exceed 3 cm, the petals of the white butterfly delphinium are correspondingly white in color.
- Blue dwarf. The name speaks for itself. The height of the plant does not exceed 30 cm. The flowers have a blue-blue hue. flowering begins in June.
- Blue cloud. The height of this variety can reach up to 45 cm. The flowers of a pale blue hue are collected in small inflorescences. This variety has the ability to bloom 2 times per season. The first flowering occurs in June-July, the second - late summer-early autumn. It can grow both in a group with other plants and as a single plant.
- Summer is old. This perennial plant is especially popular with designers. Branching out, bogs are capable of creating a lush bush. Well suited for border decoration.
- Delphinium butterfly large-flowered Mix of colors (Butterfly mix). It is a mixture of different seeds, with different colors. Bushes can grow up to 40 cm in height.
Large-flowered delphinium Butterfly: landing
If you want the large-flowered Butterfly delphinium to delight you with its beautiful flowering over a long period of time, it needs to create suitable conditions for this. Delphinium prefers well-lit areas, the shady area will not suit it. The shade can be detrimental to the plant. You need to keep this in mind when choosing a landing site. If you notice that the leaves and buds have begun to deform, and the color change has also begun, this will indicate a lack of light. For a plant, you need to choose sandy loam and loamy soil, into which peat or humus must be introduced in advance. You also need to consider the drainage system. Excessive moisture should be avoided. The best option is soil that has a neutral acidity level. The plant has rather fragile stems that can be damaged by a strong gust of wind. Therefore, the plant should not be planted in an open area, protected from drafts. These are, perhaps, all the nuances related to growing a plant, otherwise it will not bring any trouble.
Delphinium Butterfly: care
Also, when growing a perennial butterfly delphinium, you need to know a few rules. At their core, they are standard for all flowers. The main thing is to provide the plant with good loosening and weeding on time. The plant does not tolerate dry weather well. Therefore, if the weather is hot and dry, then the perennial large-flowered delphinium Butterfly will need to be watered more. If you want to make the stalks strong, it is necessary to thin the shoots from time to time. Also, do not forget about fertilizers. The plant has good immunity against various diseases and insects, but if they appear, then it is necessary to begin to take the necessary measures to combat them. With the end of the flowering period, the shoots need to be pruned, which must be carried out very shortly, and then sprinkled with dry leaves or straw to help the plant survive the winter better.