From year to year, more and more different apple varieties with the best signs and characteristics appear in the state register. However, there are quite old fruit plants that still remain in great demand for cultivation. These apple varieties include the Canadian variety of the Macintosh apple tree. The Macintosh apple tree has become popular because of its high yield rate, not only where it comes from, but also in domestic orchards.
From this article, you will learn about the Macintosh apple variety in detail, understand why this apple tree is unique, and also learn information on how to plant and care for the plant correctly.
Apple Macintosh: variety description and characteristics
Macintosh apples: photo of the variety
The Macintosh apple tree is a widespread variety of the autumn ripening period. The plant has an interesting history. The culture was not bred by scientists during hybridization, it was simply found in a garden in Canada.
In the eighteenth century, several apple seedlings were discovered by the farmer John McIntosh when purchasing the site. When transplanted, all the plants died, however, one apple tree nevertheless adapted and lived, bearing fruit regularly, for more than a hundred years.
The Macintosh apple tree lives for a very long time and gives a good harvest - gardeners were amazed by this, thanks to which the variety, which was named after its discoverer, became widespread across the Canadian border.
Apple Macintosh: culture features
Pros and cons.
The Macintosh apple variety became popular for its Benefits... These include: the tree bears fruit for a long time; Macintosh apples have high quality dessert taste properties; fruits are well transported; resistance to winter is at an average level.
Despite the fact that the Macintosh apple tree belongs to crops with an average level of resistance to winter, some gardeners are willing to argue with this, they argue that the variety has a high level of resistance to frost.
Minuses: the yield indicator is decreasing; poor immunity to scab and powdery mildew; Macintosh apples do not ripen at the same time.
Distinctive features of the tree.
The crown of the Macintosh apple tree is in the form of a pyramid, reminiscent of a cypress. Branches are spreading, brown in color, they have wide leaves of yellow-green color. Apples are located randomly, they are of different sizes and different colors.
The size of an adult apple tree.
Apple Macintosh: photo of the variety
The apple tree of the Macintosh variety is a tree of medium growth, it grows eight cm every year. An adult apple tree grows up to five to six meters. In some cases, the tree can reach seven to eight meters.
The Macintosh apple tree reduces the yield in certain unfavorable seasons, but there is no periodic productivity. The average weight of apples is one hundred fifty to two hundred grams. Up to two hundred grams of fruit are removed from one apple tree. However, there were also champions when three hundred and fifty kilos of fruit were received from the trees.
Macintosh apples are compressed, in the form of an oval, the surface is ribbed. The inner content of apples is juicy, fine grain, sweet taste, candy. The tasting score was five points out of five.
The Macintosh apple variety has an average level of resistance to the winter season. In winter, at low temperature conditions of twenty degrees, the fruit branches freeze near the tree. This further affects the yield indicator.
Apple Macintosh is not immune to the most popular fungal infections, such as powdery mildew, scab. Harmful insects affecting the variety are aphids and moths.
If you process the apple tree in time, you can avoid illness and get rid of parasites.
Apple Macintosh: planting and care
The Macintosh apple variety is planted early in the spring before the buds bloom or in the autumn season, thirty days before the first cold snaps.
- A landing pit is being dug. Dimensions: depth - sixty cm, width - one hundred cm. Humus from leaves is laid at the bottom, peat and humus are added in equal parts. A stake is driven into the hole, and a seedling is installed.
- After the plant is tied to the support, it is buried with soil, the soil is compacted, and abundant watering is performed with three buckets of water.
When planting, the root collar should rise two cm above the surface soil layer.
If you regularly feed the Macintosh apple tree with fertilizer mixtures, then its formation will be faster, and the tree will begin to bear fruit earlier. Every year it is required to mulch the trunk circle, adding nitrogen and phosphorus.
Nitrogen and minerals are added once every 3 years. In order for the tree to feed well, it is necessary to carry out regular weeding of weeds in the near-trunk circle.
Cutting and shaping the crown.
The first time the apple tree is pruned immediately after planting. The branches are cut in such a way that the main trunk is five cm higher than them. Further, for several years in a row, all flowers are cut off and the buds are cut off, due to this there will be an active growth and development of the main lateral branches.
Apple Macintosh: cultivar pollinators
The apple variety Macintosh is self-fertile. However, in order to better set Macintosh apples, cross-pollination with other apple varieties of the autumn ripening period is required.
Ripening and fruiting
Apple Macintosh: photo of the variety
The Macintosh apple tree differs from other varieties in its fruiting characteristics.
Macintosh apples are perfectly preserved and transported, which is why the apple tree has become widely known in various Russian territories.
To get large apples and a stable harvest, gardeners recommend that the apple tree does not bear fruit for the first time before six to seven years after planting.
After the tree has borne fruit for the first time, it is necessary to control the number of fruit branches. To avoid a decrease in yield, large clusters of buds are carefully removed and the branches are pruned by one third.
For the first time, the Macintosh apple tree blooms in the second year of development in the first days of May.
Macintosh apple varieties ripen at different times. To avoid fruit falling off, they are removed in the last August dates before the first October days.
Ripening of apples occurs three weeks after harvesting. Under temperature conditions plus five to ten degrees, the taste and marketability of the fruit is retained for three to four months. If the temperature regime is reduced to zero-three degrees, then the storage of apples will continue up to six to seven months.
Other types of apple trees that have the word Macintosh in the name
Apple Macintosh: photo of the variety
Apple variety "Macintosh" has all the characteristics for distribution using rootstocks and for breeding new varieties.
Apple tree "Daughter Macintosh"
- The variety was bred by domestic breeders in 1969 by hybridizing the Macintosh and Kulon-Kitayka varieties. The ripening period of the culture is winter. For the first time begins to bear fruit from the fifth year after planting.
- Daughter Macintosh apples of green color, blurred blush, red color. The fruits are regular and round.The inner content of the fruit is juicy, tender, sweet and sour. The apple tree is of medium vigor, its crown is wide and round.
- The advantages of the variety: resistance to frost; good yield indicator; fruit taste; fruits are stored for a long time.
- Minus - has no immune defense against scab.
- The variety was bred for the Moscow region.
More details about the variety here.
- Late autumn variety, frost-resistant. The apple tree is of medium growth, its crown is spreading. The plant begins to bear fruit from the fourth year of development.
- Fruits are symmetrical, yellow-green in color with purple stripes. The inner content of the fruit is juicy, sweet and sour. Fruits weigh on average one to two hundred grams. The advantages of the tree include a high level of drought tolerance.
- In 1898, in New York, during the hybridization of the varieties "Macintosh" and "Ben Davis"Brought out the culture of" Macintosh Cortland ". Since 1915, the variety has been recommended for cultivation in domestic gardens. Ripening period is late. The fruit is slightly oblong, weighing eighty to one hundred and ten grams. A tree of strong growth, its crown is dense and spreading.
- The variety does not have an immune defense against scab, because of this, the yield indicator decreases.
- The ripening period of the variety is average in autumn. A tree of weak growth, its crown is rounded. The fruits are deep red in color, their pulp is juicy and sweet. Dessert taste, apples contain many vitamins.
- The variety is often affected by fungal infections and harmful insects.
If the Macintosh apple variety is grafted to a columnar plant, then it is presented in the form of a vertical trunk, and there are no spreading side branches.
- Apples are arranged along the stem on short fruit twigs.
- The advantages of the stock: saves space in the local area; attractive appearance of the apple tree; the tree bears fruit quickly; the taste of apples.
- The small size of the plant is comfortable when harvesting fruits.
- But this apple tree does not live long - only thirteen years.
Apple Macintosh: photo of the variety
- To grow a variety in a given region, a number of factors are taken into account. The apple tree is moderately frost resistant, so you need to cover it before winter.
- In summer, the soil should not be allowed to dry completely; for this purpose, the tree is regularly watered. If you cannot take care of the variety, then it is advisable to plant a similar crop - "Macintosh's Daughter".
Thanks to the soil and climate in this area, it is easy to breed the Macintosh variety. If you properly look after and prune the tree in a timely manner, then it will delight with regular fruiting and bring apples with a pleasant taste. But pay attention to the fact that aphids can be attacked in the Volga region.
When growing Macintosh apples in Ukrainian garden plots, the apple trees will have to be constantly examined for infections caused by fungi. There will be little snow in the winter seasons, so in the fall it is necessary to cover the roots with compost fertilizer. If these simple rules are followed, the tree will take a good survival rate, and it will also bring a regular harvest.
Apple Macintosh: video about the variety
The Macintosh apple tree is not only a fruit plant that pleases with its abundant yield, stable productivity and healthy fruits with a pleasant taste, but also a good find for people involved in gardening.
Not everyone knows, but the Macintosh apple variety is taken as the basis for breeding new varieties. Thanks to this, more than sixty different fruit plants were obtained, which have become very popular in various Russian regions.
Apple Macintosh: variety reviews
Veronica, Republic of Udmurtia: “About the Macintosh apple tree variety, I can say that the apple tree basically suited me. The fruits are quite juicy, they have a dessert taste.The apple tree bears fruit regularly, the yield is eighty kg from one apple tree. One minus of the plant: foliage and apples are strongly affected by scab. The Macintosh apple tree needs to be constantly looked after and treated with pesticides. "
Samoilenko S. E., Krasnodar: "Hello. The Macintosh apple variety has been growing in my garden for over twenty-five years. The tree is ready to please us every year with its abundant yield. The apples are juicy, sweet, have a very strong aroma, and are highly marketable. In the market, my fruits, the most in demand, are scattered only in this way. It is easy to care for the Macintosh apple tree, you just need to prune and water during dry periods. "
Vera, Oryol region: “There are several apple varieties growing in my garden. Apple Macintosh is the best in productivity when compared with other fruit trees. The fruits are medium in size, but the apple tree is all strewn with them. Macintosh apples are stored for a very long time, so we eat them fresh until the first month of spring. In addition, we make excellent fruit compotes, preserves, and jam from fruits. "