Apple tree summer striped
The Summer striped apple tree got its name from the fact that the bright red integumentary color on the surface of the fruit is located in the form of stripes or stripes. Among gardeners, the Summer striped apple tree is very popular due to its yield, unpretentiousness and ability to adapt to different weather conditions, and of course due to its tasty and aromatic fruits.
Initially, the Summer striped apple variety, bred by P.A. Zhavoronkov in the South Ural Research Institute, was zoned in the Ural region, but quickly gained popularity and spread not only across Russia, but also across Belarus and Ukraine. It has been listed in the State Register since 1965.
Any, even the most unpretentious fruit tree must be looked after if you expect to collect a rich harvest as a result. In this article, we will talk in more detail about the characteristics of the tree, about the features of care, and also share with you the opinion of gardeners who have been growing the Summer striped apple tree in their gardens for several years.
Apple-tree Summer striped: variety description and characteristics
Apple tree Summer striped: photo of the variety
- Apple trees of the Summer striped variety are tall, they have a sparse, spreading crown with rounded outlines. The color of the bark on the trunk and main branches is dark brown, the shoots are painted in lighter colors. Dark green leaf plates are wrinkled, pubescent, with a wavy edge. The flowers are large, white or light pink, shaped like a calyx.
- The Summer striped apple variety is self-fertile, so pollinators must be available in the garden to harvest. In this case, such apple trees as "Prize", "Kitaika cream" and "Miasskoe».
- The first striped summer apples can be tasted five to six years after planting, and in a couple of years the yield indicators will grow and achieve excellent performance. According to statistics, more than 200 centners of fruit can be harvested from one hectare (the data were obtained when growing apple trees on an industrial scale).
- The fruits are medium-sized, weighing about 90 grams, the largest ones do not exceed 120 grams. The shape is rounded-conical, the color is bright red stripes and strokes on the greenish surface of the apple. The white pulp of the fruit has a fine-grained delicate texture, pleasant taste and aroma, and contains a lot of juice.
- Fruits are perfect for preparing various desserts, baking fillings, any types of preservation, as well as for juicing and freezing. Since these apples are kept fresh for only two weeks, it is necessary to use their culinary properties to the maximum.
- Until a certain age, the tree will annually delight you with a bountiful harvest, but then periodicity may appear, and after a particularly fruitful year, the apple tree will rest (this does not mean a complete absence of apples, there will just be very few of them).
The advantages of the summer striped apple tree could not but go unnoticed, and it is actively used in breeding work. An example of successful breeding is the late summer variety "Dwarf striped" - an apple tree, the growth of which does not exceed two meters. Among its advantages are excellent winter hardiness, good and stable yield and the ability to adapt to unfavorable climatic conditions.
Apple tree Summer striped: planting varieties
Summer striped apples: photo of the variety
Saplings of the apple-tree variety Summer striped can be planted at any time, they are perfectly adapted both during spring and autumn planting. If you are planting in the spring, it is important to do everything before the buds begin to bloom. And when planting seedlings in the autumn, it is necessary to finish the work a month before the onset of frost.
The depth of the planting pit should be at least one meter, and its width should be 80-90 centimeters. A stake should be driven into the bottom of the pit, which will serve as a support and support the tree before it is fully strengthened. Fill the drainage prepared in advance with a layer of at least ten centimeters; various stones, broken brick, crushed stone or expanded clay can be used as drainage. Mix fertile soil with compost, wood ash and mineral fertilizers and pour the resulting mixture into the hole so that a hill forms. It will be possible to start planting a seedling in 20-30 days, when the mineral fertilizers dissolve. Ideally, you should prepare the planting hole in advance: for spring planting in the fall, and for autumn planting in early summer.
Place the tree in the hole, gently spreading its roots over the mound of soil, note that the root collar should be above ground level. Then fill the hole, water liberally and tie the seedling loosely to the support (for this it is best to use twine, not wire, which can damage the bark of the tree).
Apple tree Summer striped: care
Apple tree Summer striped: photo of fruits
After you have planted an apple tree of the Summer striped variety, you do not need to fertilize it for the first couple of years, since the apple tree will have enough nutrition from the planting pit. But starting from the third year, the tree must be fertilized regularly several times per season:
- In the spring, before the buds bloom at the tree, nitrogen-containing fertilizers (mineral or organic) should be applied.
- IN summer months spend foliar fertilizing with mineral fertilizers by spraying the crown of the tree.
- In autumn, when preparing an apple tree for winter, potash-phosphorus fertilizers are applied to the area of the trunk circle.
If we are not talking about drought, then the apple tree does not need frequent watering, and in a rainy summer it is recommended to dig a groove that will drain excess moisture from the tree.
The summer striped apple tree does not need formative pruning, so an annual sanitary procedure will be sufficient, which will consist in pruning dry, broken or damaged branches. For pruning, only sharp garden tools are used, which should be disinfected immediately before the procedure.
Despite the fact that the apple trees of the Summer striped variety demonstrate good frost resistance, in the first couple of years after planting it is recommended not only to mulch the surface of the trunk circle, but also to completely cover the crown of the tree with non-woven material.
Harvesting and storage
The crop is harvested in late July or early August - the timing depends on the climatic characteristics of a particular region. It is important to have time to remove the apples from the tree before they begin to crumble. Despite the very beautiful appearance and amazing taste, these fruits have a significant drawback - a shelf life of 15, maximum 20 days. That is, the bulk of the harvest, which you will not have time to eat in a couple of weeks, will be processed: juices, compotes, preserves and marmalades, dried fruits and freezing.
Features of cultivation in different regions
Apple tree Summer striped: photo of fruits
The summer striped apple tree is grown in gardens throughout the country, but in order for the tree to fully manifest its main advantages, it is necessary to take into account the peculiarities of the climate and follow certain recommendations.
For example, in the middle lane, in particular in the Moscow region, an apple tree will require regular watering in a hot summer in the absence of precipitation.If this is not done, then with the onset of the rainy period, the fruits may begin to crack.
In the spring, before flowering, preventive insecticide treatment should be carried out to prevent the appearance of harmful insects. Also, twice a year, in spring and autumn, it is necessary to cover the tree trunk with whitewash to protect it from burns, temperature extremes and pests.
It is very simple to prepare such a mixture: for a bucket of water (1 ten liters) you need two kilograms of lime, a kilogram of clay, a pound of manure and 250 grams of copper sulfate. All components must be thoroughly mixed, the consistency of the resulting mixture should resemble thick sour cream. This whitewash is especially recommended in the spring, before the insects wake up. In autumn, trees should be whitewashed in November, when the rains end and sub-zero temperatures are established, while you can simply use a solution of lime and clay, without additional components.
When growing an apple tree of the Summer striped variety in Siberia, you should take care of additional shelter for the tree for the winter. To do this, cover the surface of the trunk circle with a thick layer of humus, and insulate the tree with a covering material.
On the territory of the Urals, the climate is characterized by high humidity, therefore, special attention should be paid to the prevention of fungal diseases. Apple trees of the Summer striped variety should be planted on hills or slopes, if necessary, make outlets for excess moisture. All plant residues (damaged branches, fallen leaves and fruits) should be immediately removed from under the tree and burned.
Apple tree Summer striped: video about the variety
Despite its short shelf life and a tendency to shedding fruits, the Summer striped apple variety remains one of the most popular among gardeners in our country. This happens because the advantages of the court clearly outweigh its disadvantages, because among the advantages are such qualities as
- The ability to adapt to almost any climatic conditions.
- Good yield.
- Early ripening of apples.
- High tasting score of 4.5 points.
Apple tree Summer striped: reviews of gardeners
Nadezhda, the city of Novokuznetsk.
My garden is over 25 years old and has very different varieties. The summer striped apple tree ripens one of the first, while we eat and preserve these apples, others are beginning to ripen. The apple variety Summer striped is liked by the fact that it firmly tolerates both heat and cold, this does not in any way affect its yield. Recently, they began to observe the periodicity in fruiting, so far insignificant, but I suppose that over time it may increase. But this does not matter and does not change my attitude to the variety - one of the best!
Mikhail, the city of Obninsk.
The only thing that upsets me is the short shelf life, which forces me to actively eat the crop for a couple of weeks, realizing that otherwise “everything is gone!”. Considering the amount of fruit, it would be great to keep some of it until winter.
Victor, the city of Voronezh.
I am not only a gardener, but also a breeder, so in my professional opinion, the Summer striped apple variety demonstrates in autumn a high ability to adapt to different climatic conditions, and, accordingly, has proven itself perfectly in various regions. The Summer striped apple tree growing directly on my site is one of my favorites, and for more than 10 years it has been pleasing my family with delicious fruits.