Timur grapes: variety description, planting, cultivation
The article presents Grapes Timur: description of the variety, characteristics, recommendations for planting, cultivation.
When choosing a variety for growing this ancient culture, you need to try, because at the moment, thanks to breeders, there are a huge number of varieties of grapes, more precisely several hundred. This culture is canteen or dessert, early or late, unpretentious or, on the contrary, capricious, with small or large fruits. Naturally, gardeners choose unpretentious varieties for growing with an early ripening of fruits, as well as with large and sweet-tasting fruits. The Timur grape variety is just such a variety that is in demand among summer residents and gardeners. This species was bred by the breeders of our country. The characteristics of Timur grapes are different, it has many advantages, but there are also serious disadvantages. Let's consider the Timur grape variety in more detail and see if it is so good? We will also tell you in detail how to properly grow this species.
Grapes Timur: description of the variety, varieties
Timur grapes: photo
The grapes of this variety were obtained by crossing the Vostrog and Frumoas Albé varieties. Both of these species are representatives of early maturing varieties and are highly resistant to the vagaries of the weather, therefore, these qualities are also present in grapes. It is quite unpretentious and is cultivated in any region of the country. But the Timur grape variety fell in love not for these qualities, but for rather large and beautiful clusters, and, naturally, for its rich taste. The variety belongs to the canteen.
This grape variety belongs to early maturing varieties, the harvest ripens and is harvested in the middle of summer, after 100-110 days. The bushes of the grapes are quite compact, medium-sized. Although the bushes of the grapes are not quite tall, they need a lot of space for good growth and development. The foliage of the variety is large, carved and with three lobes. The vine has a brown tint.
The Timur variety has a high yield, because about 70-80 percent of the shoots formed on the bushes are fruitful. 3 clusters ripen on one shoot. They are very large and quite dense. One bunch weighs up to 600 grams, has a cylindrical-conical shape. The berries themselves in this species grow oval and elongated, have an amber-green color. The grapes are very large, one piece weighs about 7 grams.
The development of this type of grape is very fast, which is why it is also grown for decorative purposes. It is used to decorate arches, hedges, walls and gazebos. The fruits of this species are covered with a thin skin, which does not distract at all from the exquisite taste of the grapes, because the taste characteristics of the variety do not cease to delight - a sweet aftertaste with a rich nutmeg aroma. If you follow all agrotechnical standards, correct planting and care, then the grapes will give you a wonderful, high yield. This wonderful variety begins to bear fruit already in the third year after planting the seedling in the ground. At the same time, the seedling takes root very well together with the cuttings.
Experienced gardeners are advised to graft this grape variety on the old roots of another plant, this will significantly increase the yield of the species. The grapes of this variety have several methods of propagation. This plant has bisexual flowers, therefore they do not need pollinators, they form to large berries of the same size.The fruits contain a fairly large amount of sugar, about 25 percent, but there is practically no acid there.
The plant is quite resistant to the development of various rot, but it may well be attacked by a grape mite. An important feature of the variety is its increased cold resistance (it can withstand up to -25 degrees without shelter). This variety is often grown for sale, because it looks great on the shelves in stores. We also recommend using this variety in its original form, although amazing raisins are still obtained from it.
The main thing to remember is that without sufficient and high-quality care, the grapes will develop very poorly. Even if you grow grapes for decorative purposes, then it should still be processed, watered, pruned and covered before the winter frosts. And to get a tasty and rich harvest, you will have to try even harder.
The Timur grape variety has one subspecies, its name is grapes Timur Pink.
Photo of a variety of pink grapes Timur
This subspecies was bred by Ukrainian breeders, crossing white Timur and Delight Kubansky grapes among themselves. From this crossing, a very beautiful variety was obtained, which is often used in growing in their garden by many gardeners throughout Russia. The main difference between this subspecies and the main variety is the color of their fruits. The main grape variety Timur is white, and the subspecies is purple-pink. There are several more differences in the description of Timur Pink grapes:
- The berries of the subspecies are elongated and large, they are similar to a nipple.
- The bunches of Timur Rozovy are much larger in size and weight - on average, they grow up to 800 grams in weight.
- The calorie content of fruits of this type is greater, since they taste much sweeter.
- The ripening period of the fruits is longer for this grape, after about 130 days they are just beginning to harvest, this is somewhere in the middle of August.
- The skin of the fruit of the Pink Timur is much denser than that of the main variety, but it is easy to chew.
- This species is not at all resistant to the attack of a grape mite, which is extremely difficult to get rid of later, so do not forget about constant preventive treatments.
- The bunches of grapes are loose, conical in shape.
- The presence of weak immunity in this subspecies is noted.
- The variety is noted for a lower yield, because on short and few shoots of this species there are very few ovaries.
Timur grapes: description of the variety, planting rules
Timur grapes: description of the variety, planting rules
In principle, growing this culture is not as difficult as it might seem at first glance. Timur grapes take root well, grows quickly and after two years begins to yield. But you should still try to make the berries and bunches of grapes large, and the fruits have a rich taste with a high sugar content, since this plant is quite sensitive to the composition of the soil, normalization and pruning. This variety needs preventive measures for insects and some diseases.
Grapes are grown and propagated by several methods, such as:
- by grafting cuttings to the roots of other varieties, the most powerful,
- through grafted seedlings,
- through sowing and germinating seeds,
- through the cultivation of bushes from the branches.
The best and most effective method is the grafting of cuttings to the roots of other varieties, the most tall and unpretentious. In this case, this variety gets rid of its main disadvantages, this is the short stature of the bush and the exactingness of the soil. With this method, fruit shoots will increase in number, and they will become more powerful, as a result, the yield of this variety will increase significantly. True, there is one drawback, on old roots the crop will ripen a little later, after about 120 days, but this will not prevent this plant from being an early ripening variety.
Grafting green seedlings and cuttings in the spring, in order to save them from the cold in autumn and frost in winter.And in the fall, the culture should be planted with roots, since it is at this time of the year that the ground contains a lot of moisture and nutrients, and, accordingly, the bushes take root and grow faster. This plant is grafted in early spring. The roots are planted later to stabilize the temperature. The best time to plant seedlings is from mid-spring to mid-summer, or from mid-September to late October, depending on the climatic zone.
To grow this variety, it is necessary to choose the right planting site. It should be protected from the wind, and so that there is no shade, it is advisable to choose the south side. Since this variety is relatively small, there was a gap of about 3-4 meters between it and other tall plants and buildings. And between your bushes, you must leave at least one meter, the aisles, in turn, should be from two meters. The soil in the garden should be nutritious and loose, and it should also allow water to pass through remarkably.
Grape variety Timur: care rules
Grape variety Timur: care rules
In order for the grapes to actively bear fruit and develop well, they need colossal care, even more laborious than other grape varieties.
Here are the basic rules for caring for this crop:
- The soil next to the boles must be mulched with sawdust or moss.
- There should be regular watering of the plant, especially in the period before flowering and during the period of fruit formation, otherwise the lack of moisture can lead to the fact that there will be a decrease in the yield of ripe fruits and a decrease in the size of berries. During dry summers, crops are watered more frequently than usual.
- the bushes must be cut off 2 times a year, while leaving about 12 eyes on each shoot. The bunches are also normalized: usually, the average load is 27 eyes per bush. Experienced gardeners advise not to leave more than 20 buds on the bush so that the clusters are larger.
- at least twice a year, grapes must be fed with even organic or mineral fertilizers, the main thing is not to overdo it with nitrogen.
- regardless of the age and size of the grape bush, this culture simply needs to be covered for the winter. The most effective method is bending the vine to the ground, when the bole is first tied up, and then laid on spruce branches (sawdust is also suitable) and sprinkled with earth or snow.
- Every year, follow a number of preventive measures and treat the bushes with special preparations before flowering the vine and immediately after flowering.
Be sure to follow these rules and tips in order for this variety to bear fruit and develop well, because it is very picky about care.
Advantages and disadvantages of the species
The main advantage of table grapes is their large fruits and wonderful taste characteristics. And for these qualities, you can forget about all the disadvantages of the variety. And another important distinguishing feature of Timur grapes is the crispy pulp of grapes, thanks to which tasters appreciate this variety.
The most important and important pluses of this variety are:
- High taste characteristics of berries with a delicate and thin skin.
- Quite an early period of fruit ripening, because the first wonderful harvest can be obtained in 100-115 days.
- They are quite hardy in the cold.
- Greater resistance to some serious diseases.
- With the right soil, this variety can be grown in almost all regions of our country.
- The variety can bring a high yield even with a small bush.
- The ripe crop is fairly well stored and ready for long-term transportation.
Unfortunately, this grape variety also has a number of disadvantages, here are the main ones:
- The variety is very demanding on the composition of the soil. Dense and moist soils are contraindicated for him, otherwise there will be a sour taste of grapes and a tart skin.
- The small size of the bushes, therefore, it is necessary to graft the cuttings of the plant to the old roots of the stronger grapes.
- Although the bushes of this variety are highly resistant to cold weather, you should still cover the grapes for the winter, because its wood is not resistant to low temperatures.
- Due to the fact that grapes have a very sweet taste, they often attract the attention of various insects. Therefore, in order to preserve the plant and the harvest, it is necessary to use various traps for insect pests, and also protect the grape bunches with a net.
In general, the disadvantages of this variety are not critical, therefore, applying proper care and agricultural technology for grapes, these disadvantages can be dealt with quite successfully.
Timur is a wonderful and very rich-tasting grape among dessert varieties. It is great for sales, because large bunches and large berries have an amazing presentation. True, this variety is quite capricious, and gardeners who have chosen it as a cultivation in their garden should be ready for this. Grapes need nutritious soil, plenty of moisture, warm shelter for the winter, and pruning.
Grapes Timur: reviews of the variety
- I decided to try planting grapes, read reviews about many varieties, but opted for this type. And I was not disappointed at all! In the third year, she received a gorgeous harvest. We were pleased with the excellent taste characteristics and size of the fruits. I even tried to store it. Now I advise everyone I know. Yes, and I did not feel much difficulty in growing this variety, the main thing is to carry out prevention and provide quality care.
Ekaterina, 52 years old
- Before buying a seedling of this grape, I read in detail its description and reviews of other gardeners, and also consulted with those who had already grown Timur. I prepared a plot for growing and was completely ready. I planted it on my own roots and the variety quickly began to grow. And after the summer, this variety pleased me even more with its high yield. True, for the fifth winter the grapes froze out, although the temperature did not drop below 21 degrees. This spring I will plant the plant again, but now I will insulate it.
Igor, 47 years old
Grapes Timur: video about the variety