Western Thuja refers to a coniferous evergreen tree. It belongs to the Cypress family. Wildlife cultivation is practiced in Canada and North America. Thuja Maloniana is a cultivator that has a highly decorative appearance. That is why it is often used for landscape design.
Western thuja Maloniana: variety description
Thuja Maloniana: photo
Thuja western Maloniana tolerates winter frosts well, therefore it can be grown in all regions of our country. Thuja Maloniana is a tree that has a columnar, strictly symmetrical, vertical shape and a sharp crown. The crown of the tree is narrow - with a diameter of no more than 3 m, the height of the tree can reach up to 10 m.It has good growth rates, it can increase in length up to 35 cm per year.How does a tree of this variety look like:
- The crown has a compact size, the trunk is straight with branches that are tightly pressed against each other. The branches are short and strong, close to each other, the tops are branched. Young shoots have a smooth bark, brown with a red tint. Over time, the plant can change its color to a dark gray. The bark has the property of flaking in longitudinal stripes of fairly decent length.
- The needles are small enough, have scales, are densely located, fit snugly to the stems. The upper part is bright green, the lower part is matte. By the winter period, the color takes on a dark shade. the needles stay on the tree for about 3 years, then it begins to fall off along with the upper part of the shoot. In young shoots, the needles have a slightly lighter color than that of last year's shoots.
- The cones are oval in shape, up to 14 cm long, dark beige in color, there are scales, inside the cone there are seeds that have narrow yellow lionfish.
- The roots of the variety are thin, intertwined in such a way that they create a compact root system that can sink to a depth of 70-80 cm.
Thuja Maloniana belongs to perennial trees, the life expectancy can be up to 110 years. The wood has no resinous passages and has a pleasant delicate aroma. The variety is unpretentious to growing conditions, tolerates air pollution well in urban life. In a new place, it quickly and well takes root, tolerates the process of pruning and haircuts well.
Types of Tui Maloniana
Depending on the shape of the crown and the color of the needles, several varieties of this variety are distinguished. for ornamental gardening, it is common to distinguish several varieties that have good frost resistance and can be grown in most regions of our country.
Western thuja Aurea: variety description
Western thuja Maloniana: photo of the variety
The tree has a narrow, columnar shape, a sharp top and a full symmetrical crown. Characteristics of the species:
- By the age of 10, the volume of a tree can reach 1.4 m.
- The trunk is straight, has tightly pressed short branches, which are distinguished by intense branching at the ends.
- The needles have a golden hue, the upper part is slightly brighter, while the lower one is slightly darker. Due to the unusual color, if the day is cloudy outside, it may seem that the plant has turned orange. Closer in the winter period, the needles acquire a bronze color.
- There are not so many cones, they are brown, appear closer to the middle of autumn.
It can grow up to 35 cm a year.At the age of 10, the tree can reach a height of up to 3.5 m.With the sun's rays, the needles do not fade, poor environmental conditions do not unpleasantly affect the growth and development of the tree. The variety tolerates a drop in temperature well, down to -38 degrees.
Thuja Maloniana Holub: description of the variety
Thuja Maloniana Holub in landscape design
The tree is classified as a dwarf species, at the age of 10 it can have a height of up to 0.8 m. The volume of a tree is 0.7 m. Per year it can increase in length up to 5 cm. The bush has an irregular shape, twisted branches grow in a chaotic manner. Tuya produces the formation of several tops with different lengths. Each plant has its own, individual shape. The needles are dense and small, have a dark green color, closer to the autumn period they begin to darken and acquire a slightly yellow color.
Use in landscape design of thuja Maloniana
Due to the fact that the variety and its varieties have good resistance to low temperatures, it is often used in landscape design precisely in those regions that are characterized by low temperatures. but you can also find this plant in the southern regions. The plant can be used as a background for design compositions, can be placed on the sides of garden paths, used as a hedge, and also planted with dwarf conifers and flowering plants.
How to properly propagate thuja western Malonian
For propagation, the seed method or the cuttings method is used. Seeds begin to be harvested in late autumn. In the spring, they are planted in open soil, the seeds germinate well. Young seedlings should be sheltered for the winter. After 3 years, you can plant it in a permanent place in your summer cottage. The grafting method is not very effective, since the planting material has poor rooting. it is necessary to cut the cuttings in the middle of summer, choosing last year's shoots. Then they need to be placed in a fertile substrate, covered with a film on top. The material that takes root can be planted next spring.
How to properly plant a plant.
Thuja Maloniana has no special planting requirements. If you comply with the necessary terms and nuances associated with planting, then the plant will be able to take root well and begin to grow quickly.
In regions with a temperate climate, the plant can be planted in spring, when the soil has already warmed up enough (around the end of April). Do not be afraid of the return of cold weather, the variety has good frost resistance. In the southern regions, you can plant a plant with the onset of autumn. In order for the plant to adapt to a new place, planting can be carried out in mid-September.
Choosing a place and preparing the ground
Thuja Maloniana is very demanding on lighting, its decorative properties directly depend on the amount of sunlight. Planting in a shaded place is also allowed, but still a preference for a well-lit area. Aurea generally does not tolerate shade well, if it lacks light, then it can begin to fade. The soil is suitable for neutral, fertile loam, make sure that there is no salinity and waterlogging of the soil. Despite the fact that the plant loves water, too much moisture can lead to decay of the roots. For this reason, it is not necessary to plant a plant in lowlands and with nearby groundwater. Before you start planting, you need to neutralize the soil, dig up the soil and apply organic fertilizers. The nutrient substrate should include peat, sand and compost (equal parts).
Planting action plan
if the seedling has a closed root system, then the planting hole should be sized to match the size of the earthen coma.If the seedling has an open root system, then the hole should be about 1 m deep, and 15 cm wide more than the rhizome size. The algorithm of actions for planting a plant is as follows:
- Drainage should be laid at the bottom of the pit: coarse gravel, and on top, pour the fine fraction.
- Add a layer of formula.
- Place the seedling in the center of the planting hole.
- Cover the seedling with the remains of the soil mixture.
- To the top, you need to add soil, lightly tamp, water the planting abundantly.
- Make sure that the root collar is at ground level.
If you are going to build a hedge, then you need to keep the distance between the plants - about 3 m.
Thuja western Maloniana: how to properly care?
According to many gardeners, the plant does not require special care for itself, it is able to tolerate changes in spring temperature, moisture deficit well, and can calmly respond to molding.
- How to water properly. Young seedlings need watering once a week. Adult plants no longer need such watering, if the precipitation was within the norm, then the plant does not need watering at all. In order to retain moisture, you can mulch the trunk circle with peat, sawdust or chips.
- We apply fertilizers. Fertilizers must be applied in the spring. As a fertilizer, you can use a complex mineral fertilizer (Kemira-Universal). In the autumn, you can water it with an organic solution.
- We make pruning. You can prune a plant that has already reached the age of 3 years. The process has a healing and formative purpose. The plant is able to tolerate a haircut well, the shoots are quickly restored. It is necessary to make a haircut in the spring. If you want to give the tree a pyramidal or topiary shape, remember that. That the haircut must be started from the top of the tree. At the end of August, this procedure can be repeated, to trim those branches that go beyond the boundaries of the bush.
- Preparing the plant for the ground. Adult plants do not need shelter for the winter, since they are able to withstand temperatures down to -42 degrees. Even if young seedlings freeze a little during the winter, they can quickly recover. An adult plant can be mulched around the trunk circle, after which it can be watered abundantly. Young trees need shelter for the winter. The branches can be pulled together and covered with a special covering material that does not allow moisture to pass through.
Diseases and insect pests
Unfortunately, the variety Thuja Maloniana and its varieties can quite often be subject to various infections and insect attacks. namely:
- Fungi that cause the death of a young shoot. Fundazol is used to fight.
- Rust. Young plants that have not reached 4 years of age are at risk. The fungus begins to attack the needles and the upper part of the shoot. The plant must be processed with Homa.
- Late blight. The cause of this disease is an excess of moisture. Various fungicides are used to combat. And also the plant needs to be transplanted. If the control measures could not get rid of the disease, then the plant must be removed from the site.
Among the insects that can harm the plant are:
- Weevil. The appearance as a result of the acidic composition of the soil is possible. The soil must be neutralized, treated with insecticides.
- Spider mite. It can appear in dry weather when the air has low humidity. The insect does not tolerate dampness. In order to combat, it is necessary to carry out sprinkling, as well as to process with the help of special means, acaricides.
- Caterpillars of mottled thuja moth. They eat needles for food, thereby causing significant harm to the plant. Fumitox is used to combat.
- Aphids. It is good to use Karbofos against aphids.
Thuja Maloniana belongs to the western Tui cultivars. It is considered an evergreen coniferous plant, it has several varieties that differ in shape, size, and color of needles. The variety is a tree with a high decorative effect and a symmetrical crown. Due to the fact that the variety can tolerate winter frosts well, it can be planted in all regions of our country with a temperate climate. The plant is unpretentious about its care, it tolerates a haircut well, and is able to maintain its shape for a long time.