Large fruits are not canned, but they do not lose popularity because of this. Juicy tomatoes are famous for their amazing taste. The Mahitos tomato is great for preparing fresh salads, preparations (juices, ketchups, pastes). Scientists from the field of breeding have bred many varietal and hybrid varieties of tomatoes. In this article, you will learn about the Mahitos variety, which produces large fruits.
Tomato Mahitos f1: variety description and characteristics
Tomato Mahitos: photo of the variety
The Mahitos tomato variety came to us from Holland. It is a hybrid variety, indeterminate, its growth is unlimited. The bush reaches a height of 2 m or more. It is grown in greenhouse conditions, for this purpose it was bred, in fact. The tomato loves warmth, but it can also adapt to the conditions of open beds.
In the south, you can grow the Mahitos tomato variety in the open field. But a tomato that grows in greenhouse conditions will be better in terms of the yield and taste of the Mahitos tomato.
The structure of the bush is strong and strong. The leaves are large, dark green in color, densely cover the bushes. The root system develops well and branches out in all directions. Tomatoes are tied constantly, even with surplus and lack of water. Fruit ripening occurs simultaneously. Ripening period - 105 days after germination. Therefore, the variety is considered medium early.
Tomatoes in the shape of a circle. The tomato resembles a flat ball with a slightly flattened base near the stalk. When the inner contents and peel of the fruit are fully ripe, they are colored with a deep red hue.
This is a hybrid variety that yields large fruits, although the average weight of a tomato is in the range of 200-250 grams. This facilitates the canning of smaller tomatoes in jars.
The fatty plus of the variety is the compacted inner content and the peel of the fruit. Tomatoes are not in danger of cracking when ripe and thermally processed. Fruits are stored for a long time, well transported over long distances. The inside of a tomato contains a lot of sugar, which is why tomatoes have a sweet taste.
Tomato cultivar Mahitos f1 - advantages and disadvantages
- Small internodes are found in strong bushes. Although the bush is tall, it is perfectly balanced.
- After planting, the seedlings adapt well and begin to grow quickly. The bush instantly forms a branched root system and becomes overgrown with leaves.
- The variety has resistance to nematodes and toLadosporiosis.
- Tomatoes are always tied, regardless of the change in the weather mood.
Growing the Mahitos tomato means that the variety must be regularly tied to a trellis and pinned in time. The stems are growing actively, so the grower will not have time to sleep. The foliage below also breaks off. The leaves cover the tomatoes, inhibit their ripening, and steal the nutrients from the bush.
Do not confuse the active growth of the bush and fattening. Because instead of a large number of fruits, you will get a “harvest” of leaves and stems. To prevent the plants from becoming fat, they must be properly looked after.
When the seedlings adapt and begin to grow, there is no need for frequent watering, overfeeding the bushes with mineral fertilizers. Tomatoes, of course, like it all, but the fruits will not set well. Watering must be carried out in moderation, and they must be increased after 3 brushes are formed.
How to plant a Mahitos tomato
In order for the harvest to be rich, it is necessary to monitor the rationing of planting bushes. There are also some landing rules.
- Seeds are sown in the same way as other tomato varieties. The seeds of Mahitos tomatoes are deepened into the soil by 1 cm, with an interval of 2.5-3 cm.
- Seedlings need to be slightly sprinkled with soil, after this procedure, carry out volumetric watering. Disinfectants can be dissolved in water. For example, gardeners often use a potassium permanganate solution.
- Containers with seedlings should be covered with foil material and wait for them to come out. It is required to care for the seedlings in the same way as for the seedlings of other tomato varieties.
- When the time comes for planting seedlings for permanent residence, certain rules are followed for planting the Mahitos variety.
- In greenhouse conditions, the bushes should be planted in rows. The distance between the rows is 100 cm.
- It is necessary to plant plants at intervals of 40 cm from each other. Why not 20 cm like everyone else? Because a small interval will reduce the yield of the Mahitos tomato.
- Form bushes in 1-2 or 3 stems. The best way is in two stems.
Just follow these rules and rationing, and then the variety will delight you with a gorgeous harvest of delicious fruits.
Tomato Mahitos: cultivation technology
Mahitos tomatoes: photo
How the tomato will develop is influenced by 2 main factors: nature and man. No one can interfere with nature. Although it is possible to make the planting shelter from adverse conditions.
The second factor is a person, everything is clear here, everything depends on us. How you need to take care of tomatoes: water, feed, maintain temperature conditions and microclimate in closed ground, form a bush. The main thing here is competent agricultural technology.
How to properly water and feed the Mahitos tomato
Let's start with the bad ones. If there is too much watering and feeding, then the bushes will simply become fat. That is, many leaves will grow, and the growth of the stems will be accelerated. The bushes will grow vigorously, which is not necessary. The ovaries will appear later than necessary; there will be an increase in extra stepsons. If the tomatoes are run like this, then it will be quite difficult to restore them.
If fattening has already begun, and the gardener doesn't care, then the harvest will turn out to be nothing: small tomatoes, and even ripen late.
- Watering should be in moderation. Increase the dosage after 3-4 brushes appear.
- Adjusting the dosage of water for drip irrigation is more difficult. Here it is necessary to adjust the rate of each of the droppers near the plants. If an irrigation tape is laid in greenhouse conditions, then the rate is regulated by the watering time.
- With a sharp cold snap, watering is reduced or suspended. If the greenhouse is unheated, then watering is useless, tomatoes will not drink it, since it is cold.
- Minimal use of minerals is required for feeding tomatoes. Fertilize begins after 3 brushes are tied.
In general, observe the norm in everything, and the plants will thank you for this. After all, an excess of water or dressing is not good.
How to adjust the color intensity of Mahitos tomatoes
The description states that after the tomatoes are ripe, they become deep red in color. But still, there is an uneven or unsaturated color of tomatoes. If the color is uneven, then this is most likely due to illiterate watering, which should have been balanced.
But most experienced vegetable growers claim that they watered the bushes according to the rules. Perhaps it was so. And maybe the reason is insufficient feeding. But do not immediately run and fertilize the bushes with all mixtures in a row. There are signals through which you can find out what is still lacking in tomatoes.
If not enough potassium, the staining will be uneven. If you add potassium to the soil, then everything will fall into place. The tomatoes will turn into a deep red hue evenly.
Accelerates the color and brightness of the fruit manganese... If there is not enough potassium, then you do not need to add manganese.Since if the coloring is accelerated, this does not mean that it will be uniform.
These two mineral elements must be included in the balance sheet. Only then will the harvest be beautiful.
Temperature conditions for growing Mahitos tomato
Hybrid tomato variety Mahitos is resistant to weather and climate. The bush is strong, tolerant to most changes in the microclimate of greenhouse conditions. This also applies to lowering temperature conditions.
If the leaves are under the rays of the sun, this is not scary. The variety is not afraid of burns, but, naturally, everything has its own measure. But let's not experiment with this case. After all, you just need to maintain high temperature conditions in closed ground, since the hybrid variety is thermophilic.
Whether to remove foliage from the Mahitos tomato f1
Excess leaves are taken from the bushes. If there is a large amount of foliage, then the tomatoes become smaller. Their ripening period is long, the taste is not so sweet. But it is also forbidden to pick off a lot of leaves.
Thickened bushes are a feature of the variety. If you cut off a large number of leaves, the plant will become depressed. Because the leaves are its cooling, moisture and air permeable system. Plucking the bushes is required in parts. The foliage breaks off only on the lower tiers and in the place where it is an obstacle for the ripening of tomatoes.
Tomato Mahitos f1: gardeners reviews about the variety
Valentine: “The variety grows in my greenhouse for 3 seasons. Liked the delicious Mahitos tomatoes. I pinch the tops of the bushes, approximately when the bush grows up to 1.8 m. I limit the growth, because the height of the greenhouse is that. There is nowhere to grow further. I constantly remove the lower layer of leaves. I have each brush with 5 tomatoes, so as not to overload the bush. "
Marina: «Mahitos tomatoes pleased me with a gorgeous harvest. Each bush gives 12 kg of fruit. Somehow I do not look after the variety in a special way. The procedures are identical to those of the other grades. I feed only at the second stage of development. "