Tomato banana legs
Most summer residents and gardeners love to experiment in their backyards, and grow all new plants in order to appreciate the taste and not only the benefits of beginners. Thanks to the work of breeders, such gardeners face a difficult choice, because there are a huge number of varieties of tomatoes, and, moreover, this list is constantly updated with new products. There are types of tomatoes with not only unusual and interesting shapes and colors, but also taste characteristics. And the agricultural technology and the yield of these species are very different from each other. These new products include the Banana Legs tomato. The name of the tomato variety Banana Legs is intriguing and makes you learn more about it, read reviews about it and compare its characteristics with other varieties.
Tomato banana legs: description, variety and characteristics
Tomato Banana legs: photo of the variety
The banana leg tomato appeared back in 1988, but curiosity about it does not dry out even now. And it’s not in vain. The variety is actively used in the middle zone of our country, in warm regions and regions with a cold climate, although the variety was bred by American breeders. And all because of the virtues that he is endowed with. Now this variety has gained immense popularity among gardeners. It belongs to the determinant varieties with an average ripening period. He also belongs to yellow-fruited tomatoes. The main feature of the tomato is its unpretentious care. Growing rules are not very different from growing regular tomatoes. There is only a slight difference in the greenhouse and in the open space. In greenhouse conditions, the plant reaches a growth of one and a half meters, and in open areas they do not stretch up to a meter, about 80-90 centimeters. The leaves and branches of the tomato are very graceful and thin. There are two methods of growing this variety: seedling and seedling, but neither one nor the other affects the characteristics of the fruit, as well as the yield. Tomatoes begin to ripen after 65-70 days. A fairly high-yielding variety. With good care from one bush, you can collect 5-6 kilograms of tomato.
When choosing a tomato variety Banana Legs for growing in their garden, farmers pay special attention to the shade and shape of the fruit. And this type of tomato has a very interesting shape, somewhat similar to an exotic fruit. Probably this was the main reason for choosing such a name for tomatoes. On the Internet, when describing this variety, you can see the mention of the shape of the icicle. Another distinctive feature of this variety is its bright yellow color. Unripe fruits have a pale green color that goes away as they ripen.
The Banana Legs tomato variety is a representative of the carpal tomato species. In one such brush, from 8 to 13 tomatoes are formed. Their ripening is almost simultaneous, thanks to which it is possible not only to feed the whole family with amazing vegetables, but also to make preparations for the winter.
One tomato Banana legs has a mass when growing from 60 to 80 grams (this is in an open space), in greenhouse conditions, with good care and timely watering, tomatoes grow on average weighing up to 110-130 grams. The length of the tomato also depends on the growing conditions. In a greenhouse, they will grow up to 12 centimeters, while on open ground, their average length is 8-10 centimeters. Another main feature of this variety is the taste of ripe fruits.Their taste is quite sweet, with a light citrus flavor and a slight sourness. The fruit itself is covered with a dense skin, which is very important when preserving. And the inside of the fruit is tender and fleshy, with very few seeds.
The bushes of this tomato do not need to be pinched, but they must be pinned necessarily and constantly.
Tomatoes Banana legs can be stored for a long time without losing their taste. If you harvest the crop a little unripe, then tomatoes can be transported well and over long distances.
Rules for growing a tomato variety Banana legs
Tomato Banana legs: photo of the variety
As already mentioned, the rules for growing this type of tomato are practically no different from growing other varieties. There are two ways to grow the variety, this is seedling and seedling, when the seeds are planted directly into the soil. For the middle lane and warm regions, a seedless method of growing these tomatoes is used.
- Growing by seedling method.
- Tomato Seeds Banana Legs are planted about 65-70 days before transplanting. For sowing, a nutritious and loose soil is preliminarily prepared. To do this, they buy it ready-made in the store, or they cook it themselves: they mix leafy earth, clean river sand and humus in equal proportions. A pick is carried out when 2-3 leaves have formed. It is imperative to carry out regular loosening of the soil and top dressing. About two weeks before planting, the seedlings begin to harden. For this, containers with seedlings are taken out onto the veranda or balcony, at first for 30-40 minutes, gradually increasing the time spent in the fresh air.
- When transplanting seedlings, you should know that there should be only up to 4 bushes on one square meter. It is impossible to thicken the planting, as there is a lack of fresh air and nutrients, which, in turn, has a great influence on the taste of the fruit and on the yield of the plant.
- Growing by a seedless method.
- Let's give advice right away. When planting tomato seeds Banana legs in the greenhouse, it is better to leave them dry and not soak or germinate first.
- Before planting seeds in the soil, the soil should be well loosened. Complex mineral fertilizers are introduced into the pits. During the growing period, the plant needs constant watering with warm and settled water, as well as regular loosening of the soil.
- With both growing methods, it is necessary to form a bush during the growing process. To do this, remove the stems, except for the 4 strongest and strongest.
- The characteristic of the variety says that this plant does not need to be pinned. But, most farmers are still advised to constantly do this procedure. Immediately after the shrub formation procedure. Otherwise, the tomato yield will fall. Banana legs and fruits are chopped.
- Tomatoes variety Banana legs require a mandatory garter, otherwise they will simply fall on the ground from the weight of brushes with a large number of tomatoes.
- Numerous reviews indicate that this variety is quite unpretentious in care, for which the value of this species increases significantly in the eyes of gardeners.
Tomato banana legs: pros and cons
Tomatoes Banana legs: photo of the variety
Before growing this or that variety of tomatoes, each gardener looks not only at his external data, but also considers all the advantages and disadvantages.
The main advantages of the tomato Banana legs are:
- interesting shape and bright color,
- fairly common rules of landing and leaving,
- fairly high yield of tomato Banana legs,
- sweet and delicate taste with a slight sourness,
- well resistant to hot weather and small temperature drops,
- very high immunity to infections, including late blight,
- these tomatoes can easily adapt to local weather conditions,
- perfectly grown both in the garden and indoor,
- a large number of shoots,
- the ability to grow by a seedless method,
- uniform fruit
- simultaneous flowering and ripening period,
- excellent transplant and pick tolerance.
I would like to note that the main advantage of the Banana Legs tomato variety is that it has practically no drawbacks. Even if they do arise, it is from non-observance of the rules of agricultural technology and poor care. For example, sufficient thickening of plantings and insufficient lighting significantly negatively affect the taste of fruits and the yield of tomato Banana legs in general.
Application of tomato cultivar Banana legs
Yellow tomatoes Banana legs: photo of the variety
Tomatoes Banana legs, due to their taste characteristics, are widely used in the preparation of various dishes and unprocessed. The fruits have an excellent taste with hints of lemon, this must be taken into account in the preparation of salads. They are often used for preservation and whole look, and as a separate component for salads and lecho for the winter. In addition, with whole salting, they reveal an exquisite and refined taste. Also, they often experiment with the fruits of this variety, using them to prepare various sauces and pastes. Perfect for drying and freezing, even sliced or whole. When preparing blanks for the winter, you should know that after the treatment, the taste of lemon is more pronounced. Therefore, everyone can find a use for these fruits according to their personal preferences.
Tomato banana legs: reviews, who planted the variety
Tomato Banana legs: video about the tomato variety
Having studied the Banana Legs tomato variety, we can conclude that if you are ready to experiment, prefer an unusual taste and want to see tomatoes with an interesting shape and shade in your garden that will surprise you and all your friends, then this variety is for you.
On the Internet, there is a huge amount of controversial reviews from farmers who have tried this variety in cultivation. In one thing, everyone is unanimous - this is the high germination of seeds and good unpretentiousness in caring for the plant. If you create the following conditions for a tomato, then they will also bear fruit well:
- Maintain good illumination of the plant,
- up to 4 pieces should be present on one square meter,
- Mandatory fertilizing with mineral fertilizers during the picking period and during the growing period,
- Constant pinching and formation of bushes,
- Regular loosening and watering.
And then a high quantity and high yield of tomato Banana legs are guaranteed to you.
Here are some reviews of the Banana Legs tomato variety:
- I tried them fresh, I liked them very much, I am delighted. But in canned form I did not really like it, but this is everyone's business.
- I have been cultivating this variety for 4 years now. My family and I are very fond of these tomatoes. But I tried to preserve for the winter for the first time. Previously, everything was simply eaten up quickly and did not have time to roll it up in jars. I would like to suggest that tomatoes of this variety prefer to grow in a fairly free space and with a lot of light. I prefer not to bother with seedlings and plant seeds directly into the soil.
- I have been growing this type of tomato for a long time. I realized one thing, in order to get a good harvest of these tomatoes, you need to do their pinching. Now I leave 4 stems on each bush, although before all I left two. The yield of the tomato Banana Legs is now high. And the tomatoes themselves are very tasty and they are delighted not only by me, but also by my whole family, and in any form.