Most often, the presence of a shady area at a summer cottage looks like a scourge for an inexperienced gardener. It is best to grow herbs in such an area that respond positively to the shade. Unfortunately, such a beautiful flowering plant as Tiarella has not yet gained its fame, but in vain.
Tiarella flower presents acts as an evergreen groundcover, which is ideal for growing in a shady area. Most of the varieties that belong to the Saxifrage family are perennial plants, and there are also those that are grown in our country as an annual plant. in the wild, the plant can be found in various regions, for example, in the climatic zone of the warm states of North America. Some species can be found in Korea and China. There are varieties that grow well in Japan.
Tiarella is a herb that is easy to grow. The plant is unpretentious about its care, tolerates cold well, loves shady places. In our country, perennial plants are suitable for growing in a region with warm, snowy winters, and are also well suited for growing at home.
Tiarella: flower description and characteristics
Tiarella flower: plant photo
If you pay attention to the botanical description of the Tiarella plant, then you can find out the following. Tiarella is a low herbaceous shrub. Foliage is divided into basal petiolate and sessile stem. In summer, it can have a dark green color, with dark purple spots and clear veins with a bronze or purple color. In autumn and winter, the foliage of the plant begins to acquire a golden-red color. Flowers are small in size, star-shaped. The corolla is formed by 5 pointed petals. Tiarella buds form large inflorescences, racemose, which are characterized by the crowning of the tops of long (up to 60 cm in length) flowering stems. flowering time falls on May-end of June. After that, the formation of fruits begins - fleshy two-chambered capsules with seeds of brown or black color. Herbaceous perennial is able to form small bushes. The plant has a weak root system, rapid growth is characteristic, therefore, a ground cover crop emerges from the plant. Some gardeners are cultivating this plant in order to plant greenery next to tall shrubs and trees. Due to their external resemblance to a tree such as Heuchera, these plants are often confused. Tiarella does not differ in abundant flowering and is most often used as an ornamental deciduous ground cover.
Tiarella: species and varieties with names
Only a few botanical varieties are known that have been studied and grown by flower growers. The most popular is such a variety of Tyarella cordifolia, which includes a large number of natural and hybrid varieties. This plant variety is widespread due to its high resistance to frost. In the wild, the plant can be found in Scotland and Alabama. The height of Tyarella cordifolia can reach up to 20 cm, taking on the appearance of a large herbaceous shrub with a spherical shape. The foliage of the plant is round, heart-shaped.On the shoots, you can see the presence of young antennae, which enable the plant to grow in width. The leaf surface is characterized by the presence of clear veins with a bronze or golden tint. The buds are collected in large inflorescences with a cyst shape. The perennial has abundant and long flowering - for 1 month, starting in May. Let's dwell on the most popular varieties of the variety:
- Albiflora - white flowers, collected in a large number of brushes.
- Iron Butterfly - has large pinnately dissected foliage with a rich green color with snow-white flowers in erect racemes.
Tiarella Iron Butterfly: photo of the variety
- Spring symphony - characterized by abundant and long-lasting flowering.
Tiarella Spring Symphony: photo of the variety
- Apalachian - plant height can reach 15 cm, diameter up to 90 cm, it is possible to grow it as an ampelous potted perennial.
Tiarella Apalachian: photo of the variety
- Pink Skyrocket - the plant can reach a height of 30 cm, inflorescences of a pale pink color, star-shaped flowers.
- Silverado - dwarf plant, height up to 30 cm, diameter up to 25 cm.
- Verry - is a hybrid plant species. in the conditions of the Russian climate, they are cultivated as an annual plant, or it is completely impossible to meet. Tiarella Verri can be found in areas of the Southeastern part of North America. Have a similarity to the leaves and flowers of Silverado, but the flowering of this variety is less abundant and less resistant to frost. Tiarella Verry flowers are white or pink in color.
Tiarella Veri: photo of the variety
- Dark ice - in some parts of the foliage, you can see areas with a dark purple color.
- Tiger strip - has decorative foliage.
Tiarella Tiger strip: photo of the variety
- Ninja - the leaves are dissected into several feathery lobes with dark-colored venation.
Tiarella Ninja: photo of the variety
- Pink Bouquet - has an abundant and long flowering.Rarely they are engaged in the cultivation of three-leafed thiarella. It is a perennial plant that can be found in regions of North America. This variety has a flowering stem, the height of which can reach 80 cm. The foliage is collected in a root outlet. The stem most often has 1-4 leaves or one leaf plate, the length can be up to 15 cm. The flowers form a paniculate loose inflorescence. The fruit has the form of a box. Tyarella unifolia is distinguished by beautiful varieties. It is a large perennial plant, the height of which can reach up to 50 cm. In the wild, it can be found in the regions of Canada and Alaska. Among the botanical varieties, the following are especially popular:
- Starburst - is a frost-resistant variety that blooms early.
Tiarella Starbust: photo of the variety
- Sia vom - differs in large leaves, pinnately dissected.
- Signet - leaf plates are similar to a flying swan.
- Black corduroy - is a fast growing hybrid variety. Flowers are white or pink in brushes. The leaves are characterized by the presence of a noticeable black and purple pattern.
Tiarella Black velveteen: photo of the variety
Tiarella: planting and care in the open field
In order for the Tiarella plant to grow and develop well, it will be necessary to perform a number of care measures. To grow a plant, the area must be shady. In order for the plant to retain its decorative appearance for a long time, it is best to plant it in an openwork shade. If the Tiarella plant is exposed to direct sunlight, the plant may lose its beautiful and picturesque appearance. The sun's rays can cause sunburn on leaves and flowers. Thus, the plant will finish its flowering several times faster.To grow a Tiarella flower, the soil must be light, no matter where the plant will be grown, in the garden or at home, in a pot. The soil should be loose and moist. It is best to choose a slightly acidic and neutral composition. An acidic environment can provoke rotting of the root system.
Tiarella flower: plant photo
You can propagate the Tiarella plant using vegetative methods - using the division of the bush or rosettes of leaves. In both options, planting of planting material should be carried out immediately to a permanent place where the plant will be grown. the bush must be dug out and cleaned of an earthen clod and divided into several parts so that the length of the divisions is no more than 5 cm.It is also allowed to grow a young plant for some time in a container with peat, sand and ash, as well as a large amount of organic fertilizers ... When growing a young Tiarella, it will need to be watered often. If you decide to carry out Reproduction using rosettes, then you will need to prune the daughter plant from the mother bush and root it in the nutrient soil until you notice the appearance of 2-3 new leaves. Many growers say that a plant can be propagated by self-sowing, after which it becomes a weed. If you want to avoid such a situation, then you will need to collect fading inflorescences in time. If you want to use the generative propagation method, then you will need to sow the seeds first for seedlings. It is not necessary to make a pick, since the plant has a weak root system, if you damage it, that in 80% of cases the plant does not survive. Sowing Tiarella seeds for seedlings is best left at the beginning of March until the end of April. Watering mode. It is very important for Tiarella to keep an eye on the watering regime. Watering should not be too frequent, but overdrying the soil can cause various kinds of diseases to appear when using the division of the bush, but not more often than once every 2-3 years. Fertilizers should be applied with alternation of mineral and organic fertilizers, during active life, once every 2-3 weeks.