Black currant Exhibition
The exhibition black currant was obtained at the Lisavenko Research Institute of Horticulture in Siberia and the Vavilov All-Russian Research Institute of Plant Industry by combining such black currant varieties as "Saunders" and "Krasnoyarka", thanks to a group of selection specialists M. A Lisavenko, N. I. Kravtseva, I. A. Kukharsky, N. M. Pavlova. Since 1959, Vystavochnaya currant has been included in the state register and approved for use in the North-West and West Siberian regions.
Black currant Exhibition: description of the variety and characteristics
The fruit shrub of the black currant variety Vystavochnaya grows small, spreading, rather rare. The growing branches are rather thick and of ordinary size, usually grow straight, sometimes crooked, color green, upper part with a red tint, there are villi. Lignified rather thick, dark brown with a lighter brown upper part, growing straight or slightly crooked, with villi. The bud, located in the upper part, is free, conical in shape, the upper part is pointed, has a color of pink and purple at the same time. Buds in a single copy, on powerful branches in a double or triple copy, elongated, conical shape with a sharp upper part, asymmetric, receding from the branch, there are villi. The leaf scar is rounded or wedge-shaped.
Currant bush foliage Shown with five lobes, large, dark green, with a blue tint, glossy, folded, rough. The foliage plate is slightly folded along the main veins. The upper part of the blades is bent downward for the autumn season. The serration is large, wide, elongated, sharp with pronounced "claws". The main veins are weakly colored; by the autumn season, the color becomes brighter to bluish purple. The central lobe has a wide triangular shape, larger in diameter and length than the lateral lobes, elongated, with a sharpness. Additional protrusions are not pronounced. The blades located on the sides, with a triangular shape, are small, the upper parts are pointed, located towards the upper part of the leaf plate. The angle between the veins of the lateral lobes is obtuse, approximately one hundred and fifty degrees. The basal lobes are not pronounced, the veins are spread. The main part of the sheet plate has a shallow rounded groove or straight. The petioles of the leaf plate are of medium size, rather thick, have a bluish violet color, the direction is arcuate at an angle, approximately seventy degrees to the branch.
Flowers of a currant bush Exhibition large size, bell-shaped, pinkish color. Sepals are long, oval, narrow, slightly sharp, irregular in color, pale pink or pink-crimson, there are villi, the deviation is arcuate and slightly twisted, the location is free. The petals are elongated, the shape is ovoid or oval with a blunt upper part, the color is green and white at the same time, not connected, slightly inclined towards the pistil. The stigma of the pistil is located almost identical to the anthers or slightly higher. The exhibition currant ovary has a few villi, has no color. The brushes are medium in size, about five to five and a half centimeters, each having five to nine berries. The axis of the brush is of medium size, the color is greenish, there are villi, the berries are placed quite tightly.The peduncle is of ordinary size, elongated at the base of the brush, the color is greenish with a ruddy tint, there are villi.
The fruits of the black currant variety Vystavochnaya are of medium size, approximately eight tenths of a gram, round shape, brown color, skin is thin, but rather dense, the calyx is medium, does not fall off, breaks off from the fruit stem without juicing, the base of the berry is flowing. The tasters rated the fresh fruit at three and a half points on a five-point scale. The berries of the Vystavochnaya currant variety are used, in particular, for chemical processing. The fruits contain:
- nineteen percent soluble solids.
- seven percent sugar.
- three and a half percent titratable acid.
- one hundred fifty-five milligrams of ascorbic acid per hundred grams of product.
Cities where this apple variety grows best:
Black currant Exhibition: reviews of gardeners
- Kirill Evgenievich, Moscow region: “I have been growing the Vystavochnaya black currant variety for a long time. I can say that this variety has a high level of resistance to cold and frost, brings a large amount of harvest. However, among gardeners these days, the Exhibition currant is not as popular as it used to be, and all because of the new varieties of black currant, which bring even more harvest with large berries. "
- Sofia Yakovlevna, Chelyabinsk region: “For me, the exhibition currant, although it gives abundant harvests, but the taste of the berries is already very mediocre. Also, the Vystavochnaya currant variety does not have a strong immunity to diseases and pests, but the frost resistance of the variety is good. But, if I had the opportunity to grow any other currant variety on my garden plot, I would not have continued to grow Exhibition currant ”.