Black currant Istok
Black currant Istok is an early ripening variety of black currant. It was launched at an experimental station owned by a research institute. Crossing was carried out Exotics and varieties Yadrenaya. The authors of the new variety are I. Kazakov, F. Sazonov, A. Zarubin.
The Istok black currant variety was included in the state register in 2008.
Black currant Istok: description of the variety and characteristics
Black currant bush The source reaches medium size, branches are free, spreading. The woody shoot is smooth, medium-sized, without bends, smooth, shiny, brown-yellow in color.
Currant leaves Istok have three lobes. The surface of the leaf is wrinkled, with a large number of veins. The leaf has two surfaces, one of them is light green and mint, and the other is emerald. Each of the blades is strongly elongated and pointed at the end. The central lobe differs from the lateral lobes in its size and length. There are neat cuts between the blades.
During the flowering period, small white-pink flowers begin to appear on the surface of the bush of the currant variety Istok. The flower petals are located close to each other, forming a dense flower. The clusters of berries can grow up to 8 centimeters in length, the fruits are unevenly distributed, the largest part is located at the bottom of the brush.
Characteristics of Istok berries
Black currant berries Istok are large, can reach up to 4.5 grams, the average weight is about 3 grams. The shape of the fruit is round, the top of the berry is slightly elongated. The skin of the berry is smooth, even, the flesh is dense, with a lot of white seeds. The separation is dry, on the skin there is a middle layer of wax coating, which serves as protection against mechanical damage.
The taste of currant berries The source is rather sour even when fully ripe, the berries have a pronounced aroma. The stalks are medium in size, green, thin, poorly attached to the fruit. The berries contain many nutrients: 3% vitamin C, 4% titratable acids, 2% pectin, 4% natural sugar, 13% dry matter.
Currant Istok: advantages and disadvantages of the variety
Pluses of black currant variety Istok:
- Increased resistance to frost and frost. The bush can withstand temperatures up to -30 degrees. In case of sudden changes in temperature in winter, it is still recommended to carry out a shelter to avoid frostbite.
- Currant variety Istok is independently pollinated by 50%. If the gardener wants to increase the amount of the crop, you can plant a pollinator neighbor, that is, another variety near the Source. Both varieties should have the same flowering time.
- Strong immune system. The variety is resistant to many fungal diseases.
- Currant berries Istok - universal use. Berries can be consumed fresh, as well as used in conservation.
- High yield. The yield per hectare is 13 tons, which is about 3.5 kilograms per bush.
Cons of currant variety Istok:
- May be affected by kidney mites.