Black currant Epic of average ripening time, was obtained at VSTISP together with the Podolsk Experimental Station of Horticulture in Ukraine from the combination of parental varieties and their pollen "28-21-61", "Khludovskaya" and "Bradtorp", thanks to the work of selection specialists V.M Litvinova and A. I. Chmukhu. Blackcurrant variety Bylinnaya was added to the state register of breeding varieties in 2002 and approved for use in the West Siberian region.
Blackcurrant Epic: description of the variety and characteristics
Epic currant: photo of the variety
The shrub of the Bylinnaya currant variety grows medium in size, the spreading is weak, the density is estimated as medium. The growing branches are of ordinary size, the color is gray and green, there is a brown tint, there are no villi, lignified branches are of medium size, glossy, gray and brown at the same time. The buds are large in size, ovoid in shape, the upper part is free, a leaf scar with a rounded - wedge-shaped shape.
Foliage of currant variety Bylnaya with five lobes, medium-sized, greenish, no villi, with slight wrinkles, leathery, not shiny, slightly concave along the main veins, with not pronounced protrusions on the sides. The lobes located on the sides are small, blunt, the upper part is directed horizontally or towards the apex, the corner is straight or sharp. The basal lobes are pronounced, the veins are located towards the upper part, oblique or outstretched. The base is usually irregular, with a small notch. The serration is large, the tip is not pronounced. The petiole is medium in size, with a brown color.
The flowers are medium in size, cupped in shape, the sepals are yellow, wide, receding slightly, and are located freely. The brush is ordinary, about six to eight centimeters, the petiole is small, the density is estimated as medium, the axial part of the brush is medium, curved. The fruit stem is ordinary, thin, green with a brown color, no villi.
The currants of the Bylinnaya variety are quite large, most often the mass of one berry is about one and a half grams, but sometimes it reaches three grams, the shape is round, the color is black, it is removed from the fruit stem without saping, there are many seeds. The calyx is of medium size, falls, completely closed. The fruits contain:
- sugar - nine and a half percent.
- titratable acid - two percent.
- ascorbic acid - three hundred and thirty milligrams per hundred grams of raw product.
Features of the variety
Epic currant has a high level of resistance to cold and frost, self-fertile, not often exposed to kidney mites, the usual amount of harvest is eight and a half tons per hectare or two and a half kilograms from each shrub.
Cities in which varieties of Epic currant grow best:
Black currant Epic: reviews of gardeners
- Ekaterina Vasilievna, Chelyabinsk region: “The Bylinnaya currant variety grows with me relatively recently. Despite this, I can already confidently recommend it for growing to other gardeners. The berries are very large, they have a rich dessert taste ”.
- Marina Vitalievna, Samara region: “Epic currants are very tasty. The only pity is that the harvest of these berries is not as great as we would like. And I can call the Bylinnaya currant variety quite capricious: a low level of resistance to diseases. "