Plum Egg Blue
Many people like Egg Blue Plum in Russia because it can withstand not the best climatic conditions, while it does not lose the exquisite taste of its fruits. There is practically no need to take care of the crop, the yield is quite high.
Plum variety Egg blue was discovered in one thousand nine hundred and eighty-six, zoned across all territories of Russia, Ukraine, Belarus. Scientists who discovered the variety: V.S. Simonov, H.K. Enikeev, S.N. Satarova. Parents of culture: “Skorospelka" and "Renclaude Ullens».
Plum Egg blue: variety description
Plum Egg blue: photo of the variety
- Plum variety Egg blue easily adapts at moderate air temperatures. Grown in Central Russia, also in the Baltic States and Ukraine.
- The size of the tree is large from six meters or more. the crown is overgrown, in the form of a dome. The inflorescence of the plum variety Egg blue is large, snow-white, with oval-shaped petals. The color can only be on the opened flowers. This variety lives for a large number of years, about thirty.
- The foliage is oval, elongated, dark green color, ribbing along the edges. The fruit is strong, in the form of a circle, elongated, of a dark bluish color, there is also a layer of plaque of a light color. Great smell. Fruit weight can be from thirty to thirty-five grams.
- The contents of the plum variety Egg blue inside a rich yellow color, sweet with a sour taste. Gardeners love this variety, they speak of it only from the good side.
- Plum Egg blue leads independent fruiting, so it is not necessary to plant neighboring crops. Resistant to the cold season, more than minus thirty degrees. Heat resistance is more difficult, you need to moisten and loosen the soil during this period.
The inflorescence begins in late April, the fruits ripen by the end of summer. Plum variety Egg blue is planted only in their own plots, for an amateur hobby. Plums are not grown in large quantities on farms. Fortunately, even a beginner in gardening can plant it.
Plum Egg blue: characteristics of the variety and features
Plum Egg blue: photo of the variety
- The size of the tree reaches about five meters and more, the shape of the crown is round, the branches are powerful.
- The branches are strong, the color is greenish, smooth.
- The edges of the foliage are ribbed, the color is dark greenish, yellowish spots appear in September.
- Fruits are large in size, weighing about fifty grams, oval in shape. The skin is strong, juicy, yellowish, streaks are noticeable.
- The culture can rot due to the large amount of moisture. The bone can also be affected by the fungus.
- The contents inside are juicy, sweet with a sour taste. Low taste.
Sweetness, juiciness, all these qualities are related to the plum. The yield of one tree is twelve kilograms. Fruiting five years after planting.
Plum variety Egg blue bears fruit on its own. Resistant to the cold season. It tolerates the weather up to minus thirty degrees.
Tolerance to cold and heat
Most breeders love the Egg Blue plum variety for its winter and hot summer tolerance.
- Tolerance to minus thirty degrees. Insulating the tree is also necessary for its safety.
- Tolerance to hot summer, it is also not necessary to often moisten the soil, the variety can survive it. But if the vegetation is not watered at all, then it will give a small harvest.Also, make sure that no water accumulates in the soil, otherwise the plant will rot, and may eventually die. Do not forget to moisten the soil after removing the leaves from the soil, this should be done before the first cold snaps.
What crops to plant for pollination?
Plum varieties Egg blue are pollinated by bees and bumblebees. It happens, so that a cold snap may occur during inflorescence, so bees can not always pollinate the culture. Everyone knows that when planting neighboring crops, you can increase the yield significantly. Do not plant crops that are independent in pollination. Alternate crops that bear fruit on their own with those that do not bear fruit on their own. It is worth planting neighboring crops in an interval of about ten meters.
In the neighborhood, you can plant the following varieties: "Eurasia twenty-one", "Skoroplodnaya", "Renklod Tambovskiy" ..
Productivity and fruiting
- Plum Egg blue does not give a large harvest, from one tree you can collect from ten to twelve kilograms of fruit.
- Fruiting from mid-August. Harvesting can change climatic conditions. The collection can be carried out in early September.
Consume the egg blue plum both fresh and boiled. They prepare compotes, jams, preserves. Added to desserts, cocktails. You can also make marshmallow or marmalade.
Tolerance to diseases and pests
Plum Egg blue does not tolerate disease, in most cases, aphids can be observed on the foliage of the culture, it also affects the culture of the moth, the crown of the tree becomes ill with clotterospirosis, begins to rot.
For disinfection, the variety is smeared or sprayed with fungicides, the injured parts are cut off.
Plum Egg blue: advantages and disadvantages
Plum Egg blue: photo of the variety
Benefits of the Egg Blue plum variety:
- Cold season tolerance;
- Tolerance to hot and dry summers;
- Self-bearing fruiting.
Cons of the variety:
- Does not tolerate diseases, viruses;
- Weak immunity;
- The plum does not lie long after harvest;
- The harvest is small.
Plum Egg blue: planting varieties
The planting period for the Egg Blue plum variety is spring. the soil should be sandy, there should be a sufficient amount of fertilizer. Groundwater should not be less than one hundred and fifty centimeters from the bottom of the pit.
Some gardeners, summer residents mount a small roof as a feeder for the plant, so the vegetation does not freeze in winter from the winds, and an excellent snow slope will also serve this well.
Planting a variety of plum Egg blue is in early spring, until the buds on the branches grow. It is worth planting on a sunny day at above-zero temperatures. Also planted in the autumn, until the first frost occurs.
How to choose a site for planting?
The site for planting the Egg Blue plum variety should be light, without strong gusts of wind. The variety quickly adapts to the southern territories, also to the south - western and eastern. Can be planted next to another crop at a certain distance. In this way, the harvest becomes larger.
What varieties of plums and crops to plant nearby?
- Blue egg plum does not like to be planted next to it trees, apple, pear, black currant, raspberry.
- Can be planted near the maple variety. With the help of pollination, the yield will be noticeably higher.
- Blue Egg Plum grows comfortably with elderberry. This crop protects the variety from aphids.
- Do not plant Russian cultures, for example, such: In memory of Timiryazev, the Kuban comet, as well as with the Chinese and Amur plums.
How to choose a seedling for planting?
Plum variety Egg blue can even develop from a stone, petiole or seedling. Do not plant with a petiole or bone. Culture cannot always grow. The ideal option would be a seedling with a good, healthy root system and strong branches.
While preparing everything for planting, remove the seedling in a dark, cool room so that the roots do not dry out in the light. Also watch out for wind gusts. When planting, make small indentations for the roots. The earth should not be dense, light, but also there should be no gaps in the root system.
- It is necessary to make a hole measuring in depth from sixty centimeters, length from seventy centimeters, width about sixty centimeters, it all depends on the size of the seedling.
- A support for the plant is placed in the middle of the pit.
- It is necessary to place the seedling so that the entire root system diverges, does not cling to each other.
- Fill with fertile soil, leaving the neck of the roots above the soil three to five centimeters apart.
- Next, you need to moisten well, soak with fertilizers, it is better to choose organic matter.
Egg blue plum: variety care
Plum Egg blue: photo of the variety
As soon as the egg blue plum sapling grows taller, it must be trimmed. As we already know, the crown of the variety is overgrown, lush, so every year you need to cut off excess, dry, injured branches.
Shaping and pruning
- This procedure takes place in the spring, it is worth starting closer to the first days of April, as soon as the last cold snaps pass. Before the kidneys begin to open. The branches are cut.
- Remove branches that have already dried, damaged. This is done with pruning shears, the injured places are treated with garden pitch.
Preparing for winter
Before the onset of winter, it is worth insulating the trunk of the culture. A fence is mounted against gusts of strong wind, you can use slate. As soon as a large amount of precipitation falls, they make a small pile around the tree trunk, this also serves as insulation. With a low amount of precipitation in winter, they are insulated with spruce branches, as well as sawdust.
Watering and feeding plums Egg blue
With a dry autumn period, the soil should be moistened before the first cold snaps. make sure that water does not accumulate in the soil. It is worth moistening when the first dry layer of earth is visible.
Attention! Watch the amount of moisture in the soil! Loosen the soil if water has accumulated at the roots. If this is not done, then the root system can rot, and the bark of the tree can be injured further.
Food is produced several times a year. First in the spring, then in the summer season, then in the autumn before the onset of frost. Fertilizers are mixed in water, then the soil is moistened, manure, humus, compost, products containing potassium and magnesium can be used as fertilizers. In the spring, they are fed with nitrogen.
Diseases and pests
Before the winter season, the trunk of the Egg Blue plum variety is insulated with spruce branches, this is how they protect it from rodents, you can also use bushes of raspberries, junipers. Such protection can prevent not only from rodents, but also from debate in early spring.
A ready-made trunk covered with spruce branches is wrapped with a canvas, securing everything with twine.
How to protect plums from diseases and pests?
- Clasterospirosis - a dangerous disease for a given variety. Symptoms: Reddish specks on foliage. This virus is dangerous because it spreads as quickly as possible through the tree. For the fight, it is worth using fugnicides, which must be changed.
- Moth - a pest that infects culture. The caterpillar absorbs the ovaries, juicy fruits. Because of this pest, the harvest goes to minus. When fighting, the bark is cut off, disinfected with special preparations.
- Aphid - affects young foliage, in order to avoid the attack of this insect, it is worth processing the tree a month and a half before the fruits appear.
Attention! Do not disinfect the tree with chemical solutions when it is blooming and bearing fruit.
- Fruit rot - can be seen on only grown berries. Symptoms: mold, plaque. Most often it is affected in areas with a lot of moisture.
During the struggle, all injured parts of the branch are cut off, the diseased parts of the tree are burned.it is necessary to lubricate the wounds with copper sulfate. The fungus is eliminated by spraying with a one-percent preparation of the Bordeaux mixture.
You can also use fungicides, but they are applied before the inflorescence period.
Egg blue plum is still relevant today, it is grown by most gardeners. Fruiting for a sufficient number of years. For high yields, it is worth taking care of the vegetation.
Plum Egg blue: reviews of gardeners who planted
Rayskaya Evgeniya Mikhailovna, 50 years old, the city of Kostroma.
I like the fruit, the plum is very tasty, especially the Egg Blue. The fruits are sweet, juicy, I make compotes from fruits. Before planting a crop, I decided to study a large amount of information about planting, how to properly care for it, all the advantages and disadvantages. I planted it, and did not regret it! Plum variety Egg blue is not squeamish, in a year the first harvest.
Pantyukhin Sergey Vasilievich, 60 years old, Krasnodar Territory.
In my greenhouse, you can see a lot of plums. I am generally a lover of this culture. It is good that in our area the climate allows you to grow different fruits. The plum variety Egg Blue was advised by my brother to buy, as it turned out, it produces fruits on its own. And this is a big plus. The fruit tastes sweet, juicy. I planted it next to a maple tree, now the plum is bearing fruit with a bang! Such a flow of fruit! Not expected! I am upset that I found out about the Egg Blue plum variety just now, I would have grown such a plum long ago.