Rowan mixed Dodong - sorbus dodong is a deciduous tree that is planted for decorative purposes. The plant sits both as single plants and in collective plantings. This variety of mountain ash, as a rule, is found in parks, squares, next to kindergartens, schools, medical organizations, as well as in the yards and alleys of high-rise buildings. This article tells in detail about the Dodong mountain ash, the main characteristics, description, advantages and disadvantages, how to plant it correctly, how to care for and propagate it. The issue of diseases and pests is also raised, and gardeners' reviews are presented.
Rowan Dodong: variety description and characteristics
Rowan Dodong: photo by sorbus dodong
Rowan mixed Dodong is a small tree with a columnar crown. A distinctive feature of a young plant from an adult is the crown, in the young it is narrow, and in the adult Dodong mountain ash it is spreading, and can grow up to 5 meters in diameter.
Plant height is on average 8 meters. The peculiarity and decorativeness of the tree is very beautiful foliage color. In the spring-summer season, the leaves of the mountain ash are green, but in the fall the foliage color becomes saturated red-orange. The foliage of this variety is large, pinnate, consists of 13-15 small, lanceolate leaves, the length of which is 30 centimeters.
Rowan inflorescences are white, with small flowers, the diameter of which is about 1 cm. Dodong blooms in different ways, depending on the region in which it grows, but this is approximately the period from late May to early June. In this culture, the inflorescences are large compared to ordinary mountain ash.
A chic, incredible entourage to the tree in the autumn-winter season is brought by rich red berries that have a pear-shaped shape. I would like to draw attention to the fact that after the first frost, the fruits lose their usual bitter taste, which is replaced by sweet.
Rowan Dodong: the pros and cons of the variety
Mountain ash Dodong sorbus dodong: photo
For any variety, for any culture, gardeners will always highlight their strengths and weaknesses. Rowan mixed Dodong is no exception. What are the advantages of this variety:
- decorativeness of the plant, in the autumn season the foliage gives an incredible, chic, festive look to the culture;
- delicious berries, which are processed with great pleasure into preserves, jams, etc .;
- frost resistance of Dodong mountain ash;
- unpretentious in cultivation.
The disadvantages of wood include the following characteristics:
- formative pruning is required;
- decorative color can be lost if the plant is grown in the shade;
- rodent protection is needed. Also bunnies love the wood of the tree. That is, the plant needs shelter for goth mice and hares;
- the plant grows and develops poorly if the air is polluted.
Rowan Dodong: planting varieties
Rowan Dodong: photos
When choosing planting material for Dodong rowan, keep in mind that the age of the seedlings should be no more than two years old. The root system must have at least two ramifications, the length of which is at least 25 centimeters. Please note that if the roots of the seedling are dry, it is recommended to soak them in water for a couple of hours in the Kornevin biostimulator, otherwise the plant will slowly take root, the growth and development of the plant will be inhibited.
Be sure to assess the condition of the bark, trunk, branches - selecting only strong, healthy seedlings, without various damages and deformations.
If it is not possible to plant Dodong Rowan immediately, in this case, it must be stored in a dug-in form, and a dark place should be chosen for this. In this state, the Dodong common mountain ash is allowed to be stored for about one month.
Preparation of a site for mountain ash
When choosing a site for mixed Dodong mountain ash, keep in mind that she prefers sunny areas, it is on them that she fully reveals her decorative characteristics.
Rowan Dodong is a fairly tall tree, pay attention to the fact that in your garden it will create shade for other plants. From this it follows that it is better to choose a place for planting rowan on the outskirts of the site, and it is better to completely outside its borders.
Planting material is usually planted either in the autumn season (this is done a couple of weeks before the onset of cold weather) or in the spring (before early May).
Dodong Rowan Standard Planting Rules:
- A hole is dug 80 cm deep;
- A useful mixture of fertile soil, ash, superphosphate, compost and rotted mullein is poured into the prepared pit;
- Further, the plant is placed in an upright position in a hole, the rhizomes are straightened and covered with earth;
- The seedling is watered abundantly;
- The main shoot is reduced;
- When planting more than one seedling, do not forget to leave a distance of at least 4 meters between them;
- Then the hole is covered with a layer of mulch, which will protect the root system from frost, and in the warm season, it will not allow moisture to quickly evaporate, and also prevent the growth and development of weeds.
Rowan Dodong: care
Rowan Dodong: photos
After planting a tree, it needs simple agrotechnical care, which will allow the mountain ash to grow and develop faster.
How to water mountain ash Dodong
A young Dodong plant must be watered regularly, since their roots cannot independently provide the plant with the required amount of water, mountain ash is a very moisture-loving culture.
The adult Dodong mountain ash is already more resistant to drought, hence it follows that they are watered very rarely - if necessary.
As mentioned earlier, mulch allows you to retain moisture around the plant, so in order to water the plant less often, use mulch (sawdust, straw, coconut fiber, and others).
Be careful when feeding young rowan plants with nitrogen fertilizers - they will inhibit the development of the plant's root system. Therefore, it is strongly recommended to abandon nitrogen-containing fertilizers in the first couple of years of plant life.
It is also recommended to add mineral fertilizers no earlier than 3 years after rowan planting. This fertilizer is applied three times a season.
Before feeding mountain ash, be sure to study the scheme and recommendations for applying mineral fertilizers:
- before the flowering period, a combination of urea (20 grams), superphosphate (25 grams) and potassium salt (15 grams) is used as top dressing;
- in the summer season, a mixture of the following fertilizers is used: nitrogen (if the plant is older than 3 years), potassium and phosphorus - all funds are added in the same amount. One square meter requires 30 grams of the mixture;
- in the fall, superphosphate and potassium mixture are used. It is necessary to use 10 grams of each fertilizer per 1 square meter of the plot.
Fertilizers are applied to the trunk ring, after which the place must be dug up, after which the soil is watered abundantly.
Rowan Dodong requires formative and sanitary pruning without fail. Forming - this is the cutting of the crown of the mountain ash according to the design idea, so that the Dodong mountain ash fits into the landscape design in the best way.
Sanitary cutting is the removal of broken, deformed, insect-damaged shoots, as well as dense branches. Sanitary disposal is carried out in spring and summer.
Also keep in mind that the plant forms a large root growth - you need to fight it and do it in a timely manner.To prevent root growth, you need to regularly loosen the soil in the near-stem circle, the depth of loosening is at least 5 centimeters.
Rowan Dodong: winter hardiness zone
As noted earlier, the Dodong mountain ash is frost-resistant, but it is recommended, while the plant is young, to mulch the trunk circle. For mulch, sawdust and peat are most often used. In order to reliably protect the root system of a tree from frost and possible freezing, a minimum of 15 centimeters of mulch is required.
The Dodong rowan variety is partly self-fertile, which means that there is no need to plant special varieties that function as pollinators. As gardeners note - when rowan grows in conditions of collective planting - Dodong rowan bears fruit more generously than when one grows - that is, it is advisable to plant several trees of various varieties at once.
Everyone knows the bitter taste of rowan berries. It is worth noting that after the onset of the first frost, the bitterness disappears, leaving only a sour aftertaste of berries.
It is necessary to pick berries just after the frost has come.
Ripe berries should not be left on the trees - they will certainly be eaten by birds.
If the tree is of short stature, the berries are harvested by hand, if it is tall, then scissors help when harvesting.
Rowan Dodong: diseases and pests
Rowan Dodong in landscape design: photo
The Dodong mountain ash variety has good resistance to various ailments and attacks of harmful insects. But still, there are pests whose attacks harm not only the crop, but also the plant itself:
- wood moth. Their pupae, as a rule, live in fallen leaves during the winter. With the onset of summer, transforming into butterflies, which after 7 days lay their eggs on the berries. Full-fledged caterpillars eat the inside of the berries, which further leads to loss of yield. Initially, the berries darken, and soon they completely rot. In order to prevent the appearance of tree moths, it is necessary to collect and burn the fallen, dry foliage, as well as dig up the trunk circle. If prevention did not help, and it was not possible to avoid the attack of the pest, then add Chlorophos to the fight. 2 weeks after the mountain ash has faded - the crown must be treated with this agent;
- sawflies. Insects appear, starting in July, their larvae feed on rowan foliage, and when winter comes, they "move" into the soil. Use soda ash or lime to fight this pest. It is necessary to treat the tops of the tree and the trunk of the Dodong mountain ash with these solutions;
- mite, its appearance is signaled by atypical swelling on the leaves. For the prevention of ticks, mountain ash, before the onset of the flowering phase, is treated with a 1% sulfur solution;
- aphid - lives on the seamy side of the leaf, thereby causing its deformation. A soap solution, as well as a 2% solution of the drug "Nitrofen", is well suited for confronting this pest insect.
Among the sores for this culture, the most common, and also the most dangerous, is rust. When red-yellow heels appear on the front side of the leaves, this signals a disease. To prevent the disease, as well as to combat it, a copper-containing liquid is used, such as, for example, Bordeaux liquid. The first time the plant is treated at the end of spring, and subsequent treatments are carried out with a break of 3 weeks.
Rowan dodong breeding
Rowan can be propagated by the following methods:
- using seeds;
- grafting method;
- by vaccination method;
- with the help of root growth.
It is worth noting that, using the first method - by seeds, be prepared for the fact that mountain ash will not inherit parental characteristics.
Using the grafting method, remember that it is recommended to do this on Finnish mountain ash, since it has a very deep and strong root system.
Experienced growers noted that the stock (the plant to which the graft is being made) can be the common hawthorn.
Rowan Dodong is a very beautiful plant that is distinguished by its incredible decorative crown. This tree can decorate not only parks, alleys, but also adjoining areas. The plant is very unpretentious to care for, so even the most inexperienced in gardening will cope without problems.
Rowan Dodong: reviews
Valentina Konstantinovna, 37 years old, Bryansk
Rowan "Dodong" was planted near our multi-storey building. In autumn, it is impossible to take your eyes off the tree, as the leaves become very bright colors. Even if it's gray and rainy outside, you should look at the mountain ash and it immediately becomes more fun. In winter, the tree is always dotted with birds that eat ripe crops.
Svetlana Vasilievna, 30 years old, Shakhty
I am an employee of a kindergarten. In the courtyard of our garden there are several Dodong mountain ash trees. These are the most beloved trees, because they are insanely beautiful, with unusual openwork leaves. The kids really like mountain ash, especially in autumn - it becomes a bright red-orange color. Every season we collect leaves with children, after which we make beautiful crafts out of them. It does not require any specific care, but it is insanely beautiful.