Floribunda roses, what is it, how to plant and care?
Floribunda or in Latin, profusely flowering. One name speaks of the main and perhaps the main characteristics of a flower for which it is so valuable among flower growers. Varieties belonging to this group have a rich and continuous flowering. Flowers are highly resistant to various types of diseases and cold weather. These decorative flowers, distinguished by their sophistication, are able to decorate any garden and fill it with their unique aroma.
Floribunda - its description and features
The first floribunda appeared at the beginning of the 20th century. The first roses were obtained by crossing a polyanthus rose with a hybrid tea. Thanks to this union, the flower received disease resistance and frost resistance from the first and incredibly beautiful and lush flowering from the second. Today, thanks to the work of scientists, we have the opportunity to enjoy a huge number of decorative varieties of this group. The buds of these plants may resemble the shape of a glass or bowl, but are always lush. Diameter from 4 cm to 8 cm. Petals are smooth, slightly velvety or velvety. The height of rose bushes depends on the variety, it can be 30 cm, and it can grow more than 1 meter. The size of the inflorescence, like the growth, also depends on the variety. Flowering begins in early June and pleases throughout the summer months. The buds change each other, showcasing their magnificence and enlivening the gardens.
What are the differences between these roses and hybrid tea? Of course, the similarities between these two species are colossal, it is not for nothing that they are close relatives. But there is still a significant difference. Floribunda begins to bloom earlier and does so continuously, unlike hybrid tea. More resistant to diseases and insects. Easier to care for and less demanding on climatic conditions. Its stems are decorated with not one flower, but 12 magnificent inflorescences. In turn, it should be noted that the tea rose has a wider palette of colors.
Floribunda is so versatile that you can grow it not only as a shrub in the garden, but create small bushes in hanging pots or make a standard tree out of it, which is so actively gaining popularity among gardeners.
It is possible to create many compositions from this group of plants, which is probably why they are so popular among landscape designers. They can be used to make hedges, curbs along garden paths, or plant them separately from everyone else in the garden decorations.
Floribunda can be used as a cut flower. He feels great in this role and can delight with beauty for a long time. They are often used when drawing up bridal bouquets and as a gift for any holidays. When planting your plant, it is important to consider that they prefer to grow in partial shade, protected from strong winds and drafts. As for leaving, it is quite simple and with even a little knowledge, you can grow beautiful flowers.
Growing: location, soil, when and how to plant
Floribunda roses can be planted in spring and autumn for residents of the southern regions of our country. If you live in the middle lane or in the northern regions, then this should be done in May or June. It is important that the soil has time to warm up by the time of planting.
The place should be chosen in partial shade so that our beauties do not fade, but with a lot of light during the day and protected from winds and drafts. Having created such conditions, our pink flowers will be rewarded with rich and colorful flowering.
These roses prefer fertile, loose and well-drained soil. If your soil is mostly clay, then you need to mix it with river sand and add compost. Bone meal mixed with phosphate in addition to the soil mixture works well. If the soil is predominantly sandy, then you need to mix it with clay and humus. You can also make a mixture by mixing peat, sand, humus, clay, garden soil in equal proportions and add a tablespoon of bone meal and phosphate there. Such methods will allow you to create the most favorable conditions for plant growth. The holes are made 0.5 mx 0.5 m wide, and its depth should be 30 cm.
Before planting, the roots of the plant are cut off, leaving about 30 cm. Shoots must also be cut off leaving 40 cm. This should be done regardless of whether they are healthy or not.
One day before planting in the ground, the roots must be lowered into the water. It will be useful to add a plant biostimulant there, which affects root formation. You can purchase such funds in a specialized store, after consulting the seller in advance.
After the holes are ready for planting, water is poured into them, and as soon as it is absorbed, the prepared mixture is added. A plant is planted in the soil mixture. The inoculation site deepens by 3 - 8 cm.
When making holes, pay attention to the distance between them. The rose grows magnificently and loves space.
After the rose is planted, it must be covered with earth, lightly tamped and watered abundantly. As soon as the water is absorbed, the plant hides.
It will be very useful to cover the ground around the roses with sawdust or peat mulch. This will help retain moisture and protect against weeds. If the weather is hot during the planting period, then you can cover your seedlings with paper caps. After the roses have passed the adaptation period, the shelter can be removed.
Floribunda, like most other roses, needs regular soil moisture. Since she loves fertile soils, fertilizing should not be neglected. The pruning that forms the plant is equally important. It is possible to form a plant during the entire period of plant growth, as for the removal of damaged areas, this is done exclusively in spring. During this period, all dry, damaged and frozen areas are removed. The lateral branches are shortened. When pruning shoots, you need to leave 6 buds on them.
Plant care is simple. Rose bushes need timely loosening, weeding and watering. If you cover the ground with mulch, then you will have to do weeding extremely rarely, since mulch significantly inhibits the development of weeds. The main care for them is pruning. It can be done several times, but spring is considered the main one. By actively removing weak and damaged areas, as well as poorly growing, you give the flowers strength and stimulate the growth of new shoots. Pruning in the summer will have a positive effect on flowering duration. It is important to know that this cannot be done in autumn, as this weakens the bushes, which is bad for them in winter.
Remember that spring pruning is necessary, but if you overdo it and cut the bush too much, then you will not be able to enjoy the beauty of its flowers until August, or even at the beginning of autumn.
Floribunda loves moist soils, so during the hot season, each plant must be watered with 10 liters of warm, settled water. Watering is done once every seven days. In case of high temperatures and drought, this should be done twice as often. It is necessary to water the plants when the sun has not yet risen, has already set, or in cloudy weather. It is very important to monitor the soil during the period when flowers appear. If you see that the ground is dry, water it. In autumn, watering is reduced and completely stopped during the rainy season.
Fertilizers are not applied in the first year of the plant's life. Further, they must be made at least 2 times a season. The first feeding is done in the spring during the period of active development.For this, mineral fertilizers with nitrogen or cow dung are suitable. The second time the bushes are fed in August. In this case, you will need fertilizers containing potassium and phosphorus. All fertilizers are applied after watering the plants. So they are better and faster absorbed into the soil, delivering all the necessary nutrients to the roots.
Although floribunda is very disease resistant, it can be infected with fungus. In order to prevent it, it is necessary to carry out prophylaxis by spraying the plant with a solution of copper sulfate or Bordeaux liquid.
You can prevent insect attacks with the help of insecticides purchased from a specialized store or nursery.
Before the onset of winter, all leaves, flowers, shoots must be removed and burned. The height of the bushes, after that it becomes about 40 cm. Further, the bush is treated with a solution of copper sulfate, huddled up and covered with non-woven material for the whole winter. Instead of material, the plant can be covered with spruce branches or covered with peat.
Varieties included in the floribunda group of roses
A rose is a flower that is beautiful regardless of the variety. It is not possible to single out one of them, because there is one for every taste. In this article, we will only talk about those that are most often found in the gardens of our country.
Rose Leonardo da Vinci
- this variety occupies a leading position in cultivation in Russia. It is the owner of large buds that reach 10cm. in diameter. They resemble the shape of glasses painted in bright pink shades with a soft and slightly perceptible aroma. The growth of this plant reaches 100cm. in height. It has good resistance to rain and various diseases. Leonardo da Vinci is grown in gardens as a single plant and in the vicinity of other flowers. Often grown by gardeners as a standard tree.
- this variety is distinguished from others by the uniqueness of the color of flowers. They have a coffee color, while at the moment when they are just starting to bloom, the petals are pink in color. The growth of this plant reaches 100cm. The buds are about 6 cm in diameter. It is frost-resistant and has good immunity. It looks delightful both in a bush and in cut form.
- Gardeners love these flowers for their large and luxurious buds. The petals on them are embossed, which gives an unusual look, and can be painted in various colors. Flowering lasts from June and lasts until the first frost. The height of the plant does not exceed 60 cm. This plant is the least resistant to diseases, therefore, when planting, observe the distance between the seedlings so as not to provoke the development of diseases.
Rose Carte Blanche
- the growth of this plant is about 80 cm. The buds are velvety of medium size. The petals are snow-white and emit a great scent. Flowering is long and generous until the first frost. Due to its resistance to diseases, it is highly valued among flower growers.
Rose Niccolo Paganini
- The perfect floribunda with unmatched red flowers that don't fade in the sun. Up to 12 magnificent buds can form in its inflorescences. Their stems are straight and graceful 80 cm high. They rarely do without these flowers, making bouquets or compositions. It is resistant to frost, disease and pests.
Rose Blue for You
- This rose will certainly attract the attention of anyone. The color of these roses has all natural lilac and blue shades, which makes it unique. The buds of this flower do not open completely, as if they are afraid to dazzle with their beauty. Plant height reaches 90 cm. It grows well both in partial shade and in open sunny areas. Resistant to frost, rain and most diseases.
Rose Easy Does It
- This variety has incredibly juicy orange flowers, emitting a soft aroma with hints of fruit. The flower petals change color, turning from dark orange to delicate aboricos, and then acquires the color of a juicy orange.But that's not all, during the period when the flowering ends, the petals acquire a pink tint. These are incredible flowers, throughout the summer and until mid-autumn one can observe how some colors change others. Plant height reaches 100cm. Like most roses in this group, they are resistant to rain, disease and cold.
Rose Blue Wonder
- Spectacular flower with emerald leaves and blue or lilac flowers. Its velvety buds have large inflorescences. Plant height no more than 70 cm. These incredibly beautiful roses differ from others in their low disease resistance. They are extremely sensitive to abrupt climate changes. Perhaps this is the case when the plant needs certain growing conditions and care.
Rose Rhapsody in Blue
- This is really an extraordinary flower. Indeed, the one that will make your garden unique. It has large, slightly velvety flowers with a bluish tint that turns into purple. Opening up, it shows long bright yellow stamens. Leaves are dense, dark green in color. The flower emits an incredibly delicate aroma, reminiscent of a sweet fruit with a slight sourness. Flowering lasts throughout the summer. If you live in the Jurassic of the country, then the plant should not be planted in open sunny areas in order to avoid burns. The plant reaches 120 cm in height and 100 cm in width. Therefore, when planting seedlings, observe the distances, taking into account this knowledge. The rose is resistant to most diseases.
Rose Nina Weibul
- Roses of this variety have a bright red color. They decorate gardens from the beginning of summer until the first frost. Leaves are dark green glossy. The height of this plant reaches 100 cm. It is resistant to diseases, rain and frost.
- this variety has won many hearts among flower growers and not only. The owner of the delicate lavender color. Its large, bowl-like flowers are arranged on graceful straight stems and can decorate any garden. This miracle plant is capable of reaching 1.5 meters in height. In addition to its splendor, the flower is highly resistant to various diseases and insects. Unlike other roses in this group, it is not very resistant to rain.
- loved by many gardeners for its unpretentious nature, for its resistance to diseases and pests, and of course for its resistance to cold weather. However, he does not like strong winds and drafts. Pay attention to this when choosing a permanent residence for him. The bushes of this plant reach 100 cm in height. The diameter of the bud is 12 cm. With a large number of petals. The foliage is dark green with a shiny surface. This exquisite creamy white rose emits a sweet scent that can fill an entire garden.
Rose Jubilee of the Prince of Monaco
- This beauty differs from others in its extraordinary color. When the flower has not yet fully opened, it has a white color with a creamy tint, and the edges of the petals are painted in a rich crimson. Revealing more and more, the crimson color begins to dominate and become brighter, leaving the cream shade a place near the base. The height of these rose bushes is no more than 60 cm. It tolerates frost well and is resistant to diseases and insects.
- Also a very popular variety. It is loved for its long and abundant flowering, which changes its color from bright yellow shades to rich red. The color change occurs at the moment the buds open. The bushes reach no more than 60 cm in height. The flowers are slightly velvety with a diameter of about 8 cm. This variety can be planted both in partial shade and in sunny areas. Moreover, the colors of this plant become brighter in the sun. Rose Samba does not require special conditions or much attention. She is not afraid of cold weather, rains and is resistant to diseases. Flowers proved to be excellent as cut flowers. They can be stored for up to two weeks.
- The flowers of this variety are gorgeous, regardless of whether it has opened like a velvet bud to the end or not. Its color is white with a yellow tint or lemon. Diameter about 8 cm. Leaves are bright green. The flowering of these plants begins in early summer and lasts until the onset of frost, which is good news for gardeners. Plant height reaches 80 cm. Rose Solero is resistant to various diseases and insects, to rain and frost.
Floribunda is a group of very different, extraordinary and incredibly beautiful varieties. It is difficult to combine beauty and unpretentiousness not to please gardeners and those who have never been involved in growing flowers. These creatures are able to decorate any site. With the help of them, you can create unique designs, and as cut, bouquets. You can grow them both in the garden and at home, choosing a pot that is suitable for the size. Observing only small rules of care, you can give the plant everything it needs, and in return it will delight you with its abundant flowering, the splendor of the bushes and the stunning aroma that fills your garden.
So what is Floribunda? This is a beautiful plant given to us by nature and propagated by biologists. Grow and enjoy the queen of all colors.