Spider mite on a rose
A spider mite is a small infection that leaves its negative effects in both your garden and indoor plants. Small spiders attack fruit-bearing trees without priority of choice, destroy flower beds and shrubs that adorn your garden. The rose is in the forefront of his list of preferences. The pest attacks both types of flowers - climbing and bush. The mite is one of the most common pests. A spider mite on a rose draws strength out of it. As a result, leaves fall and the plant becomes more susceptible to disease.
Spider mite on a rose: a description of the pest
The spider mite is an almost microscopic pest. You won't be able to spot this arachnid just by looking at the plant. With help, such as a magnifying glass, you may be able to spot a small moving particle.
In this case, you can only see the female, since the males are even smaller.
Spider mites on a rose are located in colonies of at least several hundred individuals. The main sign of infection is the formation of a micro-fine web on the back of the leaf. The colony of parasites itself will be under the cover of a cobweb.
Earlier we already talked about the fact that the size of the pest is too small to be studied with a human eye, but scientists, of course, studied the spider mite using a multiple increase.
The arachnid has characteristics characteristic of the species. Namely, 8 limbs, when moving, all legs are involved (larvae of 6 limbs). The length of the parasite's body can vary from 0.3 to 0.6 millimeters. Moreover, females are larger, and the shape of the body is oval.
The spider's skin is soft, the back is arched upward, the abdomen is flat. The parasite, which is at the “larva” stage of development, is covered with an almost transparent skin, the color of which can go from pale green to dark marsh, with dark spots on both sides.
For wintering, female spider mites acquire a crimson or coral color and remain in this state until the arrival of spring.
The main food for the parasite is green leaves. It is in the process of their active growth on the flower that the main attack of the spider mite occurs. A spider mite on a rose perfectly tolerates the winter cold, leaving for shelter for a given period of the year.
Uncleaned fallen leaves serve as a shelter. And if you have not removed it, then with the arrival of spring, the tick will begin a new attack on young plantings that have not yet matured.
With the onset of hot times under such conditions, you will receive flowers, bushes and trees densely populated by the pest. At the same time, they will already actively multiply, and feed on the vital juices of your garden and vegetable garden. The cycle of transition of a tick from a larva to a mite capable of breeding, only a week.
Spider mite on a home rose: causes of defeat
To understand how to deal with a pest, you need to understand the reason for its appearance. The most basic reason is the wind, which, with its gust, simply carries it over the plants.
In 80 percent, this occurs in dry conditions. Picking up the pest along with the dust, the wind stream brings it to the plants located around the perimeter of your garden. Further, according to the same scheme, the dust mite is transferred to garden plants, and believe me, if you grow roses, the pest will not miss them.
It is important to remember that roses must be properly and properly cared for. Since without it, the immunity to pests falls and the plant becomes more susceptible to spider mites.
Do not be upset, they help to reduce the dominance of the colony of birds that feed on spiders, their pest does not tolerate sharp cold snaps without shelter and cloudy and rainy weather. Of course, thanks to only natural factors, you will not completely solve the problem.
The defeat of rose bushes at home and indoors most often occurs from outside. That is, you purchased a new flower, did not quarantine it, and it, in turn, was infected. Indoor plant conditions are ideal for spider mite breeding. "Warm and dry" as they say.
Remember that the life cycle of one individual is not long, only a month and a half. During this time, the female can lay a couple of hundred eggs. Keeping in mind the size of the colony, you can easily imagine how fast it will grow and harm your roses.
Spider mite on a rose: consequences
What does a spider mite look like on a rose: photo
External temperature conditions play an important role in the size of the pest colony and, as a consequence, the scale of the disaster caused by it. At low temperatures, the spider mite will not do much harm and will not be very dangerous for the rose. But if the climate is high and dry for a long and constant time, the pest will multiply quickly and can greatly harm the rose.
Since the food of the tick and its larvae is the juices of the flower, the rose cannot develop normally. The flower strives for recovery and therefore all nutrients go to the damaged leaves, and not to the development of the root system. Visually, you will be able to notice even specks on the sheets, then yellowing and death of the sheet (falling off).
The spider mite starts the lesion from the leaves, but also affects the stems and buds. The defeat looks the same as on the sheets: the thinnest cobweb covers a large colony of microscopic mobile spiders.
Having found a pest, do not delay the time of dealing with it. Procrastination will cause global damage and you may lose most of the rose bushes.
Please note that the mite is most dangerous for young plants, since having lost its nutrients, a not yet formed and not strong rose will not find the strength to form buds.
Spider mite on roses: how to fight and how to treat it?
What does a spider mite look like on a rose: photo
In the fight against spider mites on a rose, both chemical methods and folk handed down from generation to generation will help you. The proportions and calculations of the drug are based on the extent of the lesion.
Chemical methods of dealing with spider mites on a rose
In cases of global defeat by a pest, preference is given to modern methods of control or, in other words, acaricides, which in turn can be divided into:
- Specific ones are applied and act directly on the spider mite. This subgroup can be of different composition, but they begin to work against the pest only with direct contact.
- Insectoacaricides are used to destroy all pests that have infested and infested the rose.
Here are the most commonly used drugs to combat spider mites on a rose:
- A drug that infects a pest through the digestive system - "Actellik"... This treatment has a lasting effect of protecting and killing the tick, lasting from one to two weeks. For a more lasting result, "Actellik" is applied twice with a gap of seven days between each other. It is not recommended to apply to roses grown at home and indoors due to the high level of toxicity. But in open spaces, its effectiveness is quite high. The preparation of the composition for processing is as follows: a 2 ml ampoule is dissolved in a liter of water. The finished composition is sprayed on the entire visible surface of the rose and, in larger quantities, on the back of the leaves.
- Apollo has different effects on eggs, larvae, lymph and adults. The first kills. The latter makes it impossible to reproduce due to their complete sterilization. The effect of the drug has a more persistent and long-lasting effect, in contrast to the previous one. It will provide your roses with protection for up to three months. The main substance that infects spider mites is clofentesin. With the finished composition, the plants are processed in two stages with a break of a week. One Apollo ampoule contains 2 ml and is diluted into five liters of warm water.
- A drug Floromite affects spider mites in the stage of active growth and development. The function of destroying the pest in this agent is carried by its main component biphenazate. The main plus of "floromite" is its speed of action, after 2-3 hours the parasite will not be able to harm your roses. You can evaluate the whole result in 4 days. Since only after this time the final effect of the treatment will be achieved and will remain unchanged for three weeks. The finished solution is treated twice with an interval of a week. Application method - spraying. Dilution method: dilute 2 ml of "floromite" in 5 liters of water. Having chosen this drug for protection, strictly follow the instructions attached to it, otherwise the parasite will develop strong immunity to it.
- Fitoverm in comparison with other compositions, it is applicable to roses grown in indoor conditions. Its main component is not chemical, but natural soil fungus. Also, for a lasting result of processing, the finished composition (2 ml per 1.25 liters of water) is applied more often and more, 3-4 times with a break between each treatment for seven days.
When choosing chemicals as protection for roses, remember that everything should be within reasonable limits.
- Firstly, most of these products destroy absolutely all insects, and this may not be necessary.
- Secondly, through constant spraying, the leaves will increase the nitrogen content. And for the spider mite, this will be a favorable environment.
To avoid the formation of resistant immunity to drugs in the tick, just change them periodically.
Folk remedies for combating spider mites on a rose
What does a spider mite look like on a rose: photo
In addition to the above chemical methods, popular means and methods can help in the fight against spider mites on a rose. The main advantage of such treatments is their naturalness. Treatment with such means is always more frequent and with a shorter time interval between them.
Consider the most famous:
- Garlic infusion... You will need: 0.5 kilograms of garlic, 3 liters of water, 50 g of laundry soap and a spray bottle for processing. Chop or mash the garlic with a garlic press. Pour the resulting mass with warm water. The tincture is ready for 5 days. Before use, the solution is filtered through cheesecloth or a fine sieve. To process roses, take 60 ml of infusion and spread it in 10 liters of water. Then add 50 g of laundry soap, stir until it dissolves. All can be cultivated plants and land around the flower.
- Black henbane will also help you in the fight against ticks in the form of an infusion. Helen is used for preparation in dry form. Finely chop a kilogram of the prepared raw material and fill it with ten liters of water, set it to cook for 12 hours in a closed warm place. Before use, filter the infusion and add 46 grams of laundry soap to it. We process flowers over the entire surface, without letting the soil through.
- In both of the above methods, laundry soap is used, but in the fight against spider mites, you will also be helped clean soapy water... The crushed piece is dissolved in water to form a foam. Roses are treated by wiping with a rag or sponge. The soil around the perimeter of the plant is treated in small doses. An excess of soapy water in the soil can destroy the flower's root system.
Spider mite on a rose: prevention
Spider mite on a rose: photo
It is always better to prevent the appearance of a parasite than to deal with it and the consequences of its vital activity.
Prevention means are not complicated, but effective.
- Conduct constant visual inspections of your roses, paying particular attention to the leaves of the plant.
- Before starting treatment, make sure that your pest is a spider mite.
- When purchasing a new flower for your garden or greenhouse, do not forget to quarantine the new plant. A few weeks apart from the "oldies" will allow you to make sure that there are no infestations and pests.
- Create negative living conditions for the spider mite. This is especially convenient because, on the contrary, these conditions are favorable for your roses.
- Pay attention to which plants you have next to each other. So, for example, besides roses, the mite loves orchids. By placing them next to you, you will contribute to the reproduction of the pest.
- Treat the soil and plants from fallen leaves.
- The soap solution helps in prevention. Wipe down windowsills, pots, shelves, and any area where your plants are located with a damp cloth.
These are all recommendations and ways to deal with spider mites on roses. By doing them, you will only enjoy the scent and beauty of the flower.