The gooseberry is a popular plant, so it grows in almost every gardener. It is usually planted because of its unpretentiousness, as well as its excellent taste and appearance. Many years ago, breeders created Delicate gooseberries. Since that time, its popularity has been gaining momentum, so now it is in demand.
How did the breeding of the variety take place?
Vasily Ilyin worked on the Nezhny gooseberry variety, while he worked at a research institute in the Urals. To obtain this variety, two varieties were crossed: "Green gooseberry Chelyabinsk" and "African". After its creation, for its excellent taste and other advantages, the Gentle gooseberry variety was included in the National Register of the country.
Note: In the 15th century, Tender gooseberry was considered an ordinary plant, which is intended for the decoration of fences and parks. And only in the middle of the 16th century, it began to be considered a culture that can be eaten.
Gentle gooseberry: variety description
Gentle gooseberry: photo of the variety
Gentle gooseberry variety is a small plant, its height can reach up to 1.5 meters. The leaves of the shrub are bright green with slight roughness. The branches spread out and take the shape of a circle, the leaves lie tightly enough to each other. This variety needs regular pruning due to its crown type and leaf arrangement. There are small thorns on the shoots that cannot harm, since they are too small. Hence, harvesting will be simple and convenient.
The berries of the Delicate gooseberry are round, like most varieties. The shell is greenish in color. The pulp is soft and sweet, the weight of each berry is about 5 grams.
The benefits of Delicate gooseberry include:
- Little thorns that can't hurt
- Sweet taste
- Great appearance
- Good transportability
- High yield
- Frost resistant
- Resistant to some types of fungus and rot.
Disadvantages of the variety:
- Late ripeness of berries
- Non-unique taste
- Weak to septoria.
Resistance to frost and drought:
Gooseberry variety Delicate accepts various changes in the environment well. It can last for about 60 days without watering, while it will continue to develop well. Also, the Gentle gooseberry variety is resistant to temperatures, range from +38 to -40.
Gentle gooseberry: photo of the variety
The harvest of the Gentle gooseberry variety appears 2 years after planting. Fruits must be harvested at the end of summer, or rather at the end of August, but harvesting can continue until early October. There are times when the gooseberry does not ripen, as severe frosts begin and, due to a lack of sun, the berries cannot ripen. The Gentle gooseberry variety has high fruiting. From one bush, you can collect up to 7 kilograms of berries. You can get a larger harvest, for this you need to plant a lot of bushes in the garden or vegetable garden. Usually many bushes are planted for further fruit sale or for large-scale harvesting.
Planting a Gentle gooseberry
Planting Tender gooseberries should be carried out only with high-quality seedlings and in the right place. If you choose the wrong place or bad soil, then the harvest may not be at all. Planting times should be optimal.
Gardeners choose the planting date themselves. It depends on their capabilities. Planting can be done in the spring, but this is done only before the buds have blossomed. In spring, the optimal period is mid-spring, or rather the first half of April.
Planting Tender gooseberries can be carried out in the fall, then the first days of October will be the optimal time.Such a planting will strengthen the plant's immunity, and it will better resist frost.
The Gentle gooseberry variety is a lover of light and sunlight. Therefore, it should be planted in places where there is a lot of light. The area where the gooseberry is planted should be free of strong wind and drafts, so the plant is planted near fences or a small fence is built for it. Gentle gooseberry does not like excess moisture, so the soil water should be 2-3 meters from the place where the bush will grow.
Soil for planting
The soil should not be too wet. The best option to choose is loamy soil. Since it fits all the criteria. Also, the earth should not be of high acidity.
Site preparation before landing
Such training should be carried out in stages:
- Dig up the area 15 days before planting, removing weeds and other debris
- 7-9 days before planting, you should feed the soil using humus
- Dig holes 60 centimeters by 55 centimeters
- At the bottom of each hole, you need to put a mixture consisting of 8-12 kilograms of humus, 150 grams of nitrophoska and 80-120 grams of ash. All components must be mixed. Put half on the bottom, and mix the other half with the earth and put on top.
Selection of Gentle gooseberry seedlings
The choice of gooseberry seedlings Neezhny is quite an important stage, so you need to carefully approach it. The age of the seedling should be 2 years, since it is precisely such seedlings that have good immunity, and they will perfectly survive the frosts, and such seedlings will also begin to yield a harvest in a year. Experts recommend choosing seedlings of various plants in specialized stores, since they are properly cared for and monitored there. Also, in such stores, varieties are correctly distributed, but confusion can arise in the markets.
Preparing a Gentle gooseberry seedling before planting
Prepare the seedling 3-5 hours before planting. First, you need to make the roots shorter, each root should be no longer than 25-3 centimeters. The height of the seedling should be 60-75 centimeters.
After making a purchase, you need to disinfect the roots with potassium permanganate (10 grams per 5 liters of warm water). A solution of Kornevin (250 grams per 13 liters of water) or mullein (400 grams per 15 liters of water) will improve growth in the soil.
The distance between plants should be about 170-200 centimeters. The same distance must be maintained between the rows. Such a scheme will allow the bushes to grow well without shading their neighbors.
- First you need to put the seedling in the hole
- Spread out the root system
- Sprinkle with earth
- The root collar must remain above the soil
- Drizzle with warm water.
Gentle gooseberry: variety care
Gentle gooseberry care is normal for the seasons. This includes irrigation, fertilization, disposal of debris and weeds, as well as the usual loosening, more garter and pruning.
The soil does not require much maintenance. It needs to be watered every 9-10 days depending on weather conditions. One bush will need 17-22 liters of water. When watering gooseberries, you should only use the root method, since if water gets on the leaves in sunny weather, they can get burned.
Watering is necessary rarely, but abundantly.
After watering, loosening should be carried out so that air gets to the roots. It is necessary to ensure that there are no weeds around the bush, as they will interfere with the development of the bush. It is necessary to get rid of them by weeding, in no case should chemical preparations be used in the fight against weeds. This can lead to the death of the shrub.
To protect against various viruses and diseases of the Gentle gooseberry, it is necessary to carry out prophylaxis.
- In the autumn, dry leaves should be carefully removed and burned.
- At the very beginning of spring, it is necessary to spray the area where the gooseberry grows with a solution of vitriol. To prepare the solution, you will need 200 grams of vitriol and 20 liters of warm water
- Homa solution will help protect against various pests (60 grams per 20 liters of warm water)
- In mid-spring, the bush is watered with hot water to get rid of the larvae.
High-quality fertilization is important for gooseberries, they must be carried out every time 48 hours after watering. Stages:
- After the snow has melted, it is necessary to shed a circle at the trunk with a special mixture, which consists of ash and nitrophosphate, in a ratio of 2: 1
- 8-10 days before the gooseberry bloom, it should be fed with a solution. This solution consists of 800 grams of mullein, 550 grams of bird droppings and 20 liters of water. You can add 200 grams of potassium sulfate to the solution. For young trees I use 3-3.5 liters of solution, for adults 6-7 liters
- When a shrub is formed, it must be watered with a nitrophoska solution (200 grams per 20 liters of water)
- Humus should be applied every three years.
After you have planted the Delicate gooseberry, you need to tie it up. First you need to put a support to which he will be tied. Pipes, bars are suitable for support. At a distance of 0.4 meters, it is necessary to stick a support with a height of about 2 meters, depending on the height of the bush. After installation, shoots should be tied to the support using laces and a rope. With the growth of the plant, it is necessary to raise the tied shoots, in order to avoid their breakage.
In spring and autumn, it is necessary to cut off the shoots that have been on the tree for 4-5 years or more. The branches that remain must be cut by 18 centimeters.
Note: Spring pruning of Tender gooseberry helps the plant to remove frozen branches, and autumn pruning helps protect the plant from diseases and viruses, as dry and diseased leaves and shoots are pruned.
Harvesting takes place slowly, in stages, depending on the ripening of the fruit. The berries are recommended to be collected in small containers. The container should hold no more than 1.5-1.8 kilograms. With a greater mass, the berries begin to press on each other and become crumpled.
The harvest is stored in a cold place. For example, in the basement or refrigerator. Gooseberries are often used in cooking, they can be frozen or made into blanks.
Preparing for the winter period
Preparing the Gentle gooseberry variety for the winter period is quite simple. It tolerates frost well for a sufficiently long time and for a better wintering, a 20-30 cm layer of mulch will be enough for it. You can use leaves, branches, sawdust. This layer should be laid out in the first days of October. After that, pour warm water over the layer.
Gooseberry propagation Delicate
For propagation of a bush of the Gentle gooseberry variety, layering is used.
- Dig a hole near the lower branches, the length of the hole should be about 12 centimeters
- Put a shoot in the hole and secure using pins
- Water every 48-72 hours. This will help the roots grow faster.
- If the sprout has grown by 15-16 centimeters, it should be transplanted, but this should be done in the fall.
You can propagate the Tender gooseberry and cuttings, but this method is already used by experienced gardeners.
For such reproduction, you need to cut off the upper part of the bush, about 25 centimeters. The top should be placed in a mullein (50 grams per 3 liters of water) and left for 6 days. After the roots have appeared and the root system has begun to form, it should be planted in a greenhouse.
The main pests and diseases of the Gentle gooseberry variety are viral mosaic, septoris.
- If grayish spots appear on the leaves or shoot, which darken every day, while the leaves have a sluggish appearance, they are dry and curl, then this means the presence of septoria. Bordeaux liquid will help in the fight against this disease (20 grams per 20 liters of warm water). The plant is processed 3 times a month.
- If burgundy spots appeared on the leaves, the leaves began to fall off strongly after 2-3 days, then these are signs of anthracnose. In the presence of this disease, the yield is reduced by 4-5 times.Bordeaux liquid will help cure this disease as well.
- The viral mosaic is accompanied by yellow spots with a small pattern. The leaves are stained and smaller than they were. Shoots become thin and can break. This disease cannot be treated, such a bush should be dug up and burned. This will help protect the remaining bushes.
The most popular pests of the Gentle gooseberry variety include aphids and sawflies.
- The sawfly has a black body with small wings. It must be fought with onions, garlic and wormwood. A solution is prepared from these ingredients (200 grams of each component per 10 liters of water). The plant is treated with the solution 2 times a month.
- When twisting leaves and finding small pests on them, it is worth knowing that the defeat was carried out by aphids. They get rid of it using Fufanol (200 grams per 20 liters of water). Processing every month.
But if you take proper care of the Gentle gooseberry variety, there will be no inspection of the plant, pests and diseases.
Gooseberry Tender: video about cultivar pruning